Founded in 1898, Northeastern is a global research university and the recognized leader in experience-driven lifelong learning. Our world-renowned experiential approach empowers our students, faculty, alumni, and partners to create impact far beyond the confines of discipline, degree, and campus.
Our locations—in Boston; Charlotte, North Carolina; London; Portland, Maine; San Francisco; Seattle; Silicon Valley; Toronto; Vancouver; and the Massachusetts communities of Burlington and Nahant—are nodes in our growing global university system. Through this network, we expand opportunities for flexible, student-centered learning and collaborative, solutions-focused research.
Northeastern's comprehensive array of undergraduate and graduate programs— in a variety of on-campus and online formats—lead to degrees through the doctorate in nine colleges and schools. Among these, we offer more than 195 multi-discipline majors and degrees designed to prepare students for purposeful lives and careers.
About the Opportunity:
The Tax Director provides university-wide leadership and operational oversight on all university tax matters. This position oversees the Tax Manager and together they are responsible for tax analysis, consultation, advising, issue resolution, communication, preparation and submission of all tax filings domestic and international to remain in compliance with all tax laws and regulations within the university global network. This includes managing relationships with external partners where specific technical expertise is required. This position reports directly to the Associate VP & Controller.
This position is responsible for delivering tax analysis and advice to senior leadership on all new significant strategic domestic and international business opportunities/initiatives, and provides comprehensive tax analysis and advice university-wide regarding operational tax issues. The Director develops, implements and oversees the university tax plan. This position is also responsible for overseeing the Tax function which is responsible for developing and delivering training on tax matters affecting the university including, but not limited to, areas that may be subject to UBI and/or PBU monitoring.
In Finance we are stewards of the university and trusted partners, bridging aspirations to business solutions in thoughtful, grounded, and agile ways to advance Northeastern's mission.
Oversee university tax activities for existing business, strategic planning for new business opportunities, and compliance.
- Demonstrated effectiveness as a leader and strategic thinker
who thrives when working as a team member of a dynamic leadership
- Skilled as an outstanding coach, mentor, and motivator of a
professional department with a dedication to hiring, retaining and
- Ability to clearly and effectively communicate up, down and
across a decentralized matrix organization
- Ability to troubleshoot and make sound decisions in response to
rapidly changing and often complicated situations
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, Business highly
desired, or related equivalent required
- Minimum of 7+ years of practical tax experience
- Comprehensive technical knowledge of US tax laws and
regulations and knowledge/experience in international
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, technical skills with
proficiency in tax compliance
- Ability to interpret and apply complex tax law to business
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication
- Strong organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to develop solutions for complex tax
- Proven ability to use technology to improve the tax function by
creating efficiencies, improving transparency and controls and
- Data driven with a proficiency in excel and financial
- JD/LLM, CPA, or MST preferred
- Experience in domestic and international payroll tax compliance
- Experience advising on international tax compliance highly
- UBI, PBU analysis, and other tax matters relevant to
not-for-profit organizations a plus
A criminal background check will be required.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University's commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.
To apply, visit https://careers.pageuppeople.com/879/cw/en-us/job/506429