Assistant Professor of Biology
Mount Mary University is seeking an individual to join our community and contribute to the realization of our Mission through the role of an Assistant Professor of Biology, and member of the Sciences department. We are a community of faculty who value relationships with our students and colleagues. We are committed to a compassionate and effective undergraduate education for our students. This position includes service to the University and teaching responsibilities, including providing classroom and online instruction with an expectation of continued professional development.
- curriculum development and revision
- Experience in organismal biology preferred, ability to teach courses ranging from biodiversity, animal behavior, developmental biology, human physiology, introductory biology.
- contributing to the program review
- manifest a commitment to the mission of Mount Mary University
- have a PhD in the biological sciences
- be an effective teacher across the range of course offerings including non-majors as well as introductory and upper level courses with laboratories.
- possess a strong commitment to student-centered learning through inquiry based pedagogies such as PBL [Problem Based Learning], POGIL [Process Oriented Guided Inquiry Learning], POPS [Patient Oriented Problem Solving], etc.
- be prepared to mentor students as a Faculty Advisor
- be motivated to engage students in undergraduate research
- be interested in developing leadership skills within the department
- have the potential to pursue extramural funding to support undergraduate research and pedagogical development
- demonstrate excellent communication skills and the ability to function in a team environment
- serving on faculty assembly and University committees
- providing service to the institution and the community
- participating in grant writing and acquisition of external funding
- engaging in ongoing scholarship and professional activity (research, publications, presentations)
- performing other duties as assigned
Skills and Experience:
- Doctorate in Biological field
- Candidates who are ABD will be considered if all other qualifications are met with distinction and there is demonstration of progress toward degree completion.
- Previous experience teaching a diverse study body is desired.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each primary responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform primary functions.
- Significant experience in leadership, education, and research or scholarship.
Mount Mary University encourages applications from all qualified candidates and is vitally committed to all aspects of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates and all will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, ethnicity, pregnancy, disability, genetic information, or any other groups protected by law. Mount Mary seeks to hire and retain personnel who will make a positive contribution to its mission, vision, and values.
For more information about diversity, equity, and inclusion at Mount Mary please visit http://www.mtmary.edu/about/diversity
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.