Gallery Coordinator, Rowan University Art Gallery, College of Communication and Creative Arts, PSS4
Job Summary :
Rowan University Art Gallery provides a platform for discourse on best practices in contemporary art by professional artists, curators, and scholars through the presentation of interdisciplinary art exhibitions, panel discussions, guest curatorial projects, and other public programming. The gallery at 301 High Street West highlights curated contemporary art exhibitions by professional artists with related educational and public programming. Our secondary location, The Center for Art and Social Engagement, is located in Westby Hall and serves as a venue for investigating social issues through arts-based methods. Where appropriate, we develop programming in collaboration with other academic areas including: environmental studies, engineering, sociology, anthropology, history, education, social justice, performing arts, and women’s gender studies programs.
Rowan University Art Gallery is seeking a full-time Art Gallery Coordinator to provide support in the management and coordination of gallery programming and exhibitions for Rowan University Art Gallery. The Art Gallery Coordinator contributes professionally to all internal processes by providing knowledge, experience, and the ability to implement best practices in contemporary art exhibition planning and design, art handling and installation, design of educational and promotional materials.
Duties & Responsibilities :
Coordination and Implementation of Programming:
- Coordinates exhibitions and gallery programming, public art, artists in residence, arts in education, and related events.
- Contributes to coordinating exhibition schedules, handling of artwork with art professionals and art handlers, correspondence with artists, arts professionals, and representatives from internal units.
- Participates in facilitating and executing programming related to gallery committees.
- Organizes materials for PR and social media campaigns.
- Coordinates exhibition documentation including photographic, video, visual and text documentation of exhibitions, programs, and events.
- Manages audio-visual equipment, gallery lighting, gallery monitor, computers, and related devices.
Digital and Graphic Design and Communications :
- Design of exhibition postcards, posters, informational displays, and large-format banners.
- Develops text and visual materials for the gallery website, social media, campus monitors, exhibition guides, event and program announcements, and related material for educational use, event promotion, and advertising.
- Maintains gallery website, social media platforms, and facilitates electronic announcements.
- Coordinates with other professional staff in providing supporting materials as needed.
Supervises administrative staff and student workers :
- Coordinates and monitors the work of administrative staff and student workers.
- Assists in the development and implementation of training programs for student workers.
- Provides guidance and instruction in the proper use of gallery equipment and tools.
- One (1) year of professional experience
- Bachelor's Degree required
- Demonstrated knowledge working with artists, art educators and scholars.
- Demonstrable commitment to promoting diversity, inclusion and social justice causes.
- Ability to build collaborative relationships with students, faculty, employers, and alumni.
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the US, and the university will not sponsor an applicant for a work visa for this position.
- At least 3 years contemporary art gallery or art museum experience.
- MFA degree or related field.
- Extensive graphic design ability and use of Illustrator, In-Design, Photoshop, and Adobe Suite and video editing software.
- Extensive ability using electronic equipment including: digital projectors, sound equipment, and wireless/Bluetooth equipment.
- Ability to work independently and be self-directed.
- Ability to manage several projects at once.
- Demonstrated organizational abilities and exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to start, manage, and complete projects independently from inception to completion with full accountability for deadlines, quality, and accuracy.
- Ability to prioritize and balance a number of projects simultaneously while maintaining a high quality of work in a fast-paced environment
Submit the following:
- Cover letter explaining how you meet the qualifications/requirements
- A PDF portfolio with examples of creative work