Academic Advisor - Student Support Services
POSITION TITLE: Academic Advisor – Student Support Services
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year institution of higher learning
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work with a team
- Ability to engage individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Self-starter and able to work independently
- Records maintenance skills.
- Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports.
- Ability to maintain calendars and schedule appointments.
- Ability to use independent judgment and to manage and impart confidential information.
- Knowledge of academic standards governing student probation, suspension, and/or expulsion.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems.
- Knowledge of student recruitment and retention issues.
- Ability to analyze course prerequisites, certification, and/or curriculum/graduation requirements.
- Ability to evaluate student transcripts and/or records
- Answers student inquiries and resolves problems related to curriculum and course prerequisites, referring to catalogues, written course descriptions, and other appropriate sources.
- Advise students academically, socially and emotionally.
- Make appropriate referrals when needed to mental and medical professionals.
- Receives and reviews transcripts to ensure eligibility for admission to a specific college or program including evaluation of transfer credits and applicability of academic credit to program requirements.
- Initiates and maintains individual student files as appropriate, updating and evaluating file as new information is received.
- Reviews student files to ensure deadlines are met for completing various graduation requirements such as coursework requirements, theses, comprehensive examinations, and other specific program requirements.
- Coordinates with other organizational units to aid in resolution of academic problems.
- Reviews student grade reports each semester to determine probation and/or suspension based on academic regulations of university;
- Assists students in the selection of appropriate courses and concentrations in terms of students' stated preferences.
- Assists faculty advisement, athletic coaches, and/or other counseling personnel by providing records, evaluations, interpretations, and other requested data, recommendations, and conclusions.
- May assist in proctoring examinations and other qualifying requirements or activities required by the college and/or department.
- May supervise lower graded staff and/or student employees; may participate in training and evaluative sessions and recommend methods to improve advisement activities.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned
QUALITIES AND CHARACTERISTICS
- Sound work ethics
- Proven Skills
- Listening skills
- Team player
SUPERVISION AND EVALUATION
- Performance of this job will be evaluated annually by the immediate supervisor in accordance with provisions of the Jarvis Christian College Administrative Policies and Procedures Manual.
- Success in the workplace depends on a strong commitment to the tasks assigned, respect for others and confidentiality in handling, and dealing with prospects, and sensitive constituent information
- Honesty, integrity, and treating others with respect are expected at all times.
- Good presentation skills which include, but not limited to, professional dress/business attire, and excellent verbal, as well as, written skills.
- Assume responsibility for own professional growth and development, keeping current of best practices in area of responsibility
- Adhere to the Jarvis Christian College Code of Ethics
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Twelve (12) month position
Apply for Academic Advisor - Student Support Services
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly