Student Support Advisor
Student Support Advisor
Mohawk Valley Community College provides accessible, high-quality educational opportunities to meet the diverse needs of our students. We are the community’s college, committed to student success through partnerships, transfer and career pathways, and personal enrichment.
The College is looking for exceptional colleagues. We seek candidates with: (1) an understanding of the college mission and teaching experience in a comprehensive community college; (2) a focus on student success in a learner-centered environment; and (3) a willingness to use technology to support learning in the academic setting, including on-line instruction and assessment of student learning outcomes.
MVCC is seeking to fill two full-time positions in our Holistic Student Support Office . The Student Support Advisor provides students with a single point of contact to create a seamless pathway for student success from pre-boarding to completion. Works as part of a team providing individual academic, career, financial, and related support to an assigned group of students as they progress through their educational journey. Works collaboratively with faculty mentors by discipline to ensure a smooth guided pathway for students and connects students to needed college resources along the way. The primary focus of this role will be to assist students with the two interior pillars of Guided Pathways; Getting on the Path and Staying on the Path.
Key responsibilities for this position include:
- Meets with students to deliver comprehensive enrollment, advisement, career and support services to an assigned group of students based by schools through degree completion;
- Regularly collaborates with faculty, college staff, and all student support offices as needed to support student success, including but not limited to, goal setting, future planning, early student alerts, academic coaching and intervention, and just in time supports;
- Case manages students assigned by keeping accurate records on each student encounter in an agreed upon system;
- In collaboration with the Directors of Holistic Student Support and the team, develop and implement a consistent annual calendar of tasks and touch points with students to ensure student success;
- Review student progress throughout each semester for all assigned students recommending appropriate referrals and support services to keep them on track towards their goals;
- A broad band of competencies will be developed and maintained, such as but not limited to, Clifton Strengths, Motivational Interviewing, Career Coach, and the needs of special populations;
- Maintains up to date information on any new or curriculum changes within the school assigned;
- Collaborates with Academic Affairs, Directors of Holistic Student Support, Center for Corporate and Community Education and with local economic development agencies for relevant workforce development initiatives including, but not limited to College in the Workplace, or collaborates with Academic Affairs to support the development of transfer pathways;
- In collaboration with the Directors of Holistic Student Support and the team, develop and implement assessment methods to evaluate student processes and student satisfaction;
- Performs other duties related to the job description and as
assigned by the Director of Holistic Student Support.
Mohawk Valley Community College is committed to transforming lives through learning, and as you help students secure the financial resources to pursue their dreams, you will be critical to the College mission and the student experience.
Experience with diverse populations, strong written and verbal communication, interpersonal skills, computer literacy and critical thinking abilities
Three years higher education experience
Master’s degree in Counseling, Social Work, Student Development, Higher Education or related field
Experience in a community college setting working directly with students, knowledge of student development, career counseling, advising, and case management experience
Special Instructions to Applicants: Official academic transcripts required upon hire.
Review Start Date: 6/4/2021
Mohawk Valley Community College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer deeply committed to a community of excellence, equity, and diversity. MVCC maintains an inclusive learning environment in which students, faculty, administrators, staff, curriculum, social activities, governance, and all other aspects of campus life reflect a diverse, multi-cultural, and global worldview. We value the many similarities and differences among individuals and groups. We are committed to preparing students to understand, live among, appreciate, and work in a world made up of people with different ethnic and racial backgrounds, military backgrounds, religious beliefs, socio-economic status, cultural traditions, different abilities, sexual orientations and gender identities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status or on the basis of disability.
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Utica
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Utica
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Utica
- Counseling Not specified Full Time jobs in Utica
- Disabled Student Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Utica