Postdoctoral Research Associate
We encourage applications for a postdoctoral research associate position at the Department of Geography, University of Colorado Boulder (CU Boulder), who will primarily work on a NIST-funded project aiming to understand the social and health impacts of natural hazards and climate changes. The postdoc is expected to develop new machine learning-based geospatial methods and new data sources to measure and model short- and long-term social and health effects of windstorms and their interdependence with the built environments and COVID-19 pandemics.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The Department of Geography brings a holistic perspective to the physical and human processes that shape the world around us, and we strive to understand how people interact with, are shaped by, and in turn help shape our world. Our teaching and research span an exceptional array of disciplines and we excel at providing field-oriented, hands-on experience. We train our students – in a friendly, well-supported environment – to be top scientists as well as citizens of the broader world to which we're all connected.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Develop innovative geospatial applications to understand the short- and long-term social and health effects of natural hazards and climate change.
- Develop new machine learning-based geospatial analysis methods, tools and data sources to understand the impact of natural hazards and human and community responses.
- Assist and develop manuscripts to peer-reviewed journals and conference proceedings.
- Present and communicate the findings with project team and the communities of researchers and stakeholders.
- Assist and develop new grant proposals on related topics to funding agencies.
- Mentor graduate and undergraduate students.
What You Should Know
The start date is flexible as early as 7/1/2021. Working remotely is possible, although the ability to work on the CU Boulder campus is preferable. The initial appointment will be for one year with the possibility of renewal for a second year contingent on satisfactory performance and fund availability.
The position will offer a unique postdoctoral training experience. The postdoc will be part of a transdisciplinary team from multiple institutes. The postdoc will be encouraged to publish extensively, develop advanced technical skills, strengthen their research portfolios, and gain expertise in authoring grant proposals.
What We Can Offer
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Collaborative. Be Innovative. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- PhD degree is required by start date in Geography/GIScience, Statistics, Computer Science, Information Science or related discipline.
- Expertise in geographic information science, remote sensing, statistical analysis/machine learning of spatiotemporal data.
What We Would Like You To Have
Preference will be given to applicants with strong quantitative backgrounds and extensive programming experiences (e.g., Python, R, C/C++) in machine learning, spatiotemporal analysis and HPC-based cyberGIS environment.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Cover Letter
- PDF Sample of Work
During the application process, you will need to enter contact information for three references and we will request letters of recommendation and additional materials if needed, as the search progresses.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis starting 6/1/21 until the position is filled.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Guofeng Cao
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Computer Sciences & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Other Science & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Statistics Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder