Assistant Athletic Trainer
Assistant Athletic Trainer
Sensitive Position Statement
A sensitive position requires a fingerprint-based criminal history check. This is NOT a sensitive position.
Campus Security Authority
Campus Security Authority Statement
This position is designated as a Campus Security Authority. A Campus Security Authority (or CSA) is defined as an “official of the institution with significant responsibility for student and campus activities.” A CSA is required to immediately report any crime that is reported to them to the University Police who will then review, evaluate, and investigate the reported crime. Annual training is required by the Department of Education for all personnel who have been designated as a Campus Security Authority.
Designated Personnel Statement
A “designated position” means this position could potentially be required to work (depending on the event) during an emergency closing. This is NOT a “designated position.”
Statement of Economic Interest
Statement of Economic Interest Statement
This position does NOT require a Statement of Personal Economic Interest.
Restricted Position Statement
This is a restricted position subject to availability of funding.
Chief Objective of Position
This position provides an essential role in the Department of Athletics by performing duties in the treatment and prevention of injury of Christopher Newport University athletes.
1. Provides medical assistance for University athletes; make
necessary referrals for athletes to various health care
2. Coordinates chain of care for injured student athletes form time of injury through return to play.
3. Assists athletic training leadership in coordination of concussion management protocols.
4. Provides leadership and instruction in the personal and athletic development of student athletes at Christopher Newport University. Reports athlete statuses to head coaches and tracks and maintains medical records related to athletic information.
5. Develops and implements operational guidelines and procedures per area of expertise. Supports/constructs and implements rehabilitation protocols and recommends new techniques and equipment in physical training and therapy. Manages acute orthopedic and medical conditions within the scope of training and expertise.
6. Promotes the philosophy and objectives of the intercollegiate athletics program to include adhering to all departmental policies and procedures, as well as the rules and regulations of the university and the NCAA. Responsible for safety rules and regulations regarding use of equipment to reduce liability and to ensure NCAA compliance.
7. Assists and advises athletic team coaches in planning and instructing physical training programs for athletes.
8. Represents the Christopher Newport University Athletic Department in professional, civic, charity, and alumni events. Participates in professional associations.
9. Develops and maintains exemplary relations with all Department of Athletics constituencies.
10. Safety issues are reviewed and communicated to assure a safe and healthy workplace and a reduction in work related absence.
11. Develops and maintains very positive and professional customer service and relations within the office and with all constituencies to include students, faculty, staff, administrators, other employees, other agency personnel and community members. Demonstrates a positive and professional attitude and treats everyone with dignity and respect. Fully supports the “Student’s First” value at CNU and routinely goes the extra mile in providing service. Completes all work in a timely, efficient and accurate manner.
12. This position is designated as a Campus Security Authority. A Campus Security Authority (or CSA) is defined as an “official of the institution with significant responsibility for student and campus activities.” A CSA is required to immediately report any crime that is reported to them to the University Police who will then review, evaluate, and investigate the reported crime. Annual training is required by the Department of Education for all personnel who have been designated as a Campus Security Authority.
13. This position is designated as a “responsible employee” who has the authority to redress sexual violence, who has the duty to report incidents of sexual violence or other student misconduct, or who a student could reasonably believe has this authority or duty.
14. Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSA's) required
Work requires knowledge of the general principles of preventative physical care for athletes, first aid treatment and referral, and post injury rehabilitation. Knowledge of sports medicine or related field. Skill in training or instructing student athletes in injury prevention; excellent interpersonal communication skills. Demonstrated organizational and time management skills. Ability to analyze situations and develop solutions; travel and work non-traditional hours; manage people and projects. Ability to foster positive internal and external public relations. Ability to lift heavy objects. Ability to multi-task.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSA's) preferred
A Master’s Degree in sports medicine or a related field; or Bachelor’s degree and significant and directly related work experience at a level that equates to an advanced degree. National Athletics Training Association BOC Certified and Virginia licensure eligible.
Experience participating in various administrative, educational or medical support services such as coordinating arrangements for appointments and activities, participating in physical training tasks and instructions, providing first aid treatment or other related functions.
Prior experience in a College or University setting; experience training a variety of athletic teams, both male and female.
Selected by The Princeton Review for The 386 Best Colleges: 2021 Edition, and highly ranked for its quality of life and innovative leadership, Christopher Newport University is a public school offering a private school experience — great teaching, small classes, and a safe, vibrant campus. A “student-first, teaching-first” community, Christopher Newport is dedicated to the ideals of scholarship, leadership and service. The University is located between Williamsburg and the Virginia beaches in Newport News, and enrolls 5,100 students. Academic programs encompass more than 90 areas of study, from biology to business administration and political science to the performing arts. The University has a new and technologically advanced campus, has generated over 7,300 applications for a freshmen class of 1,155 and has been ranked by U.S. News & World Report’s America’s Best Colleges guide as fourth among public regional universities in the South and seventh among all regional universities in the South. In addition, Christopher Newport is ranked third among all public schools for having "the highest proportion of classes with fewer than 20 students.” Christopher Newport is committed to ensuring that all people are welcomed, honored and fully engaged in the life of our academic community. We seek exceptional and diverse candidates and encourage applications from individuals who are underrepresented in their profession. For further details and information about Christopher Newport, visit http://www.cnu.edu.
Posting Detail Information
Number of Vacancies
Interested parties are requested to submit a cover letter; current resume; and the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three professional references at the time of application. Review of applications will begin June 13, 2021. Applications received after June 13, 2021, will be accepted but considered only if needed. Search finalists are required to complete a CNU sponsored background check.
Christopher Newport University (CNU) will make a reasonable effort to accommodate persons with disabilities in the application and/or interview process. Persons with disabilities who require accommodation should contact the CNU Human Resources Office by calling (757) 594-7145.
Quick Link for Internal Postings
Christopher Newport University, an EO Employer, is fully
Committed to Access and Opportunity.
Notice of Non-Discrimination & Title IX Policy Statement: