Public Safety Officer
DEPARTMENT: Public Safety
BASIC FUNCTION: Performs effectively as a Public Safety Officer and executes public safety-related duties in accordance with federal, state and university regulations; completes specialty tasks as assigned; remains abreast of public safety trends to enhance public safety skills and performs other duties necessary to ensure crime prevention of the university.
UNUSUAL WORK CONDITIONS: Rotating shift work; works holidays, weekends and midnight shift hours. Knowledge of highly confidential information. Exposure to bloodborne pathogens, hazardous materials, and other dangerous situations. Must be able to remain in a standing or sitting position for an extended period of time. Works in a variety of weather conditions with an exposure to the elements. Carry a firearm within the course of duties. Respond to active critical incidents. Willingness to work extra-duty assignments.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL NEEDED: Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification strongly preferred. If not EMT certified at time of employment, candidate must obtain certification within first 2 years of employment.
EDUCATION: Either a Bachelor’s/Associate’s degree in Criminal Justice or a high school diploma with specific related experience including public safety/civilian/military/police experience.
EXPERIENCE: Registered as a public safety officer with the Connecticut State Police Possession of a Connecticut Security Officer identification card. Possession of current motor vehicle license in good standing. Possession of a CT pistol permit and Security Officer firearms permit with Security Officer endorsement. Possess and maintain EMT certification. Mandated training for hazardous materials and bloodborne pathogens will be provided. Must be in good physical condition. Must meet annual firearms qualification requirements.
1. Effectively performs as a Public Safety Officer. This involves:
- patrolling university buildings and grounds by way of radio-equipped
cars, foot patrol and bicycles to prevent theft, trespass, vandalism or
violations of General Statutes and/or university regulations,
- investigating and reporting on any violations of the General Statutes
and/or university regulations,
- enforcing parking regulations including the issuance of tickets, permits
and coordination of towing efforts,
- notifying supervisors and proper authorities regarding any violations
of the General Statutes and/or university regulations,
- responding and investigating motor vehicle accidents and accidents
caused as a result of fire and personal injury in accordance with
proper public safety, health and safety procedures,
- assisting in the supervision and professional development of officer
trainees, non-officer Public Safety personnel and/or students,
- performing general public safety functions including dispatch operations,
traffic control checkpoint duty, monetary escort services and basic
public safety service information to the general public,
- effectively responding to and providing medical care in conjunction with
appropriate completion of medical training.
2. Performs a specialty task as assigned.
3. Remains abreast of public safety trends and measures and attends appropriate
training sessions to enhance public safety skills.
4. Executes other duties necessary to ensure crime prevention of the university.
5. Participates in the professional development of the department and the
university. This involves:
- participating in staff meetings as requested,
- acting as a responsible committee representative as requested,
- promoting an image of efficiency and courtesy throughout the
university community and consistent with the Department of Public Safety’s mission.
6. Promotes safe and secure working conditions. This involves:
- promoting the proper utilization of equipment and materials,
- reporting immediately any unsafe working conditions to supervisor.
7. Assumes responsibility of the shift when designated as the senior officer on duty.
8. Performs other related duties as directed or dictated by responsibilities.
Duties may be changed and/or be added at any time.
Please note whomever is hired will be required to take a health physical, drug test, background check and physical agility test.
EVP - Public Safety Officers
All offers of employment are contingent upon a satisfactory background check.
Fairfield University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, committed to excellence through diversity, and, in this spirit, particularly welcomes applications from women, persons of color, Veterans, and members of historically underrepresented groups. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to all qualified individuals with a disability.
Load a resume or CV first, then upload supporting documents including a cover letter at the bottom of the third page under the "My Experience" section where it says to upload a Resume/CV. You will be able to upload up to 5 other documents in this section. You will be unable to edit your application, so please have all documents available before applying. Faculty Positions : If you need to upload more than 5 documents, please either combine them to upload or email the additional documents to the applicable contact in the job description. Staff positions : If you need to upload more than 5 documents, please either combine them to upload or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield
- Public Administration & Policy Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield
- Security Studies Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fairfield