Posting Number F00679 Position Title Instructor, Horticulture Internal Position Title Instructor, Horticulture Department Horticulture Position Type Full-Time Faculty Job Family Faculty Job Summary
The College of Lake County is currently searching for one full-time Horticulture faculty member to be housed in the Biological & Health Sciences division. Responsibilities for this position include instruction of first and second year college level courses to a diverse student body during daytime, evening, and weekend classes at our Grayslake campus. The faculty member will develop, prepare, and revise instructional materials as well as participate in program evaluation and curriculum planning and development. The instructor will participate in department, division, and general faculty meetings, serve on division and college committees, and participate in other forms of college service. The instructor will utilize appropriate technology to deliver instructional materials, maintain grades, provide timely communications with students, etc. The instructor shall maintain appropriate office hours for student access. Instructors are required to maintain an active program of professional development related to institutional objectives. The College of Lake County ( CLC ) is a comprehensive community college located in northeastern Illinois committed to being an innovative educational institution providing life-changing paths for our students by offering exceptional learning experiences. The college is widely recognized for student success, business and community partnerships, and for the achievements of our faculty, staff and alumni. Mission: The College of Lake County is a comprehensive community college committed to equitable, high-quality education, cultural enrichment and partnerships to advance the diverse communities it serves. Vision: The College of Lake County is a leader in providing innovative education and workforce solutions. Values: Excellence, Purpose, Integrity, Compassion, Unity and Inclusion College of Lake County is committed to a diverse workforce that represents our student body. Our search process is designed to promote increasing the diversity of our full-time faculty. Search committee members are committed to diversity and this serves as the basis of a successful search at CLC . Required Qualification
• Master’s degree in Horticulture/Agriculture or closely related field.
• A commitment to the community college mission and to working with diverse student populations. Demonstrated success and academic experiences with diverse populations and diverse teaching methods. Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the Department’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
• Ability to work effectively and constructively with persons of diverse cultures, language groups, and abilities; demonstrate sensitivity to and ability to work with the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, faculty, and staff, including those with disabilities; establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work. Desired Qualifications
• Master’s degree in Horticulture. • Bilingual in Spanish and English. Posting Date 05/20/2021 Closing Date Expected Start Date 08/16/2021 Special Instructions Summary
This position will remain open until filled. Applicants selected for an interview will be required to submit a minimum of two (2) letters of recommendation. This is a full-time, tenure track faculty position. Salary placement is commensurate with education and experience. The minimum 2021 – 2022 academic year (Fall & Spring Semester) base salary range is $60,913 with a master’s degree to $77,349 with a doctorate in the subject field. Optional contract for the summer session offers potential for significantly greater earnings. Faculty may be assigned to any of the three CLC campuses; Grayslake, Lakeshore or Southlake. New faculty hires are required to attend orientation the week prior to the contract start date of August 16, 2021. Foreign Transcripts: Transcripts issued outside the United States require a course-by-course analysis with an equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA . Posting may remain open until the position is filled Pay Rate Per faculty contract. Full-Time/Part-Time Full-Time Location Grayslake Total Hours per week 40.00 Work Schedule
Varies according to course schedule. Ability to teach days, evening and weekends as determined by the needs of the program in any given semester. Ability to teach at all campus locations as needed (Grayslake, Lakeshore or Southlake). EEO Statement
The College of Lake County is an equal opportunity employer and has a strong commitment to diversity. In that spirit, it seeks a broad spectrum of candidates including minorities, women and people with disabilities. EOE /AA/M/F/D/V Software Testing Required None Interview Process Requirements Presentation Summary of Essential Functions
1) Provides instruction and conduct classes in accordance with the philosophy of the College and within the scope of a defined course of study. 2) Teaches assigned courses in subject field each academic semester. Deliver course content using a variety of teaching styles, technologies, and delivery methods. 3) Provides the students and the Division a syllabus that clearly states course objectives and learning outcomes, attendance policies in line with those of the college, texts and readings, timelines and evaluation criteria, and any other information required by College, Division, or department. 4) Provides instructional support to the students. Refers students, when appropriate, to sources of specialized services within the College. 5) Is available for student consultation through phone, email, or online for established office hours. 6) Meets all classes at assigned times. If unable to meet an assigned class, reports absence to supervisor and division staff in an appropriate manner. 7) Selects, prepares, and maintains current curriculum, course outlines and printed and non-printed instructional materials. Revises and updates course content as needed. 8) Assist in developing and administering discipline-appropriate measures of student academic achievement, use departmental testing instruments as provided. Administers other instruments designed to measure student learning outcomes as requested and required by the department or division. Provides all results as requested. Prioritizes and supports student success. Assessment of course, program and College Learning Outcomes (CLOs). Values align with the College of Lake County mission, vision, values and goals. 9) Evaluates student performance in meeting course objectives and learning outcomes through assignments, projects, discussions or examinations. Provides feedback to students in a timely manner on student performance. 10) Maintains accurate grade records as required by the College. Submits all attendance and grade records electronically prior to the required deadlines. Is able to produce appropriate grade records for supervisor upon request. 11) Curriculum development, development of policies and procedures, program expansion and new program exploration and development. 12) Properly and effectively utilizes appropriate technology to deliver instructional materials, maintain grades, and provide timely communications with students, etc. 13) Encourages students to submit course evaluations, reviews course evaluations when available and uses feedback to improve course delivery. 14) Assist in the advisement of students. 15) Uses the appropriate College policies and procedures to resolve and document student complaints, concerns, and problems. 16) Participates in governance by serving on college, division, and department committees. 17) Attends faculty meetings, department meetings, and all other meetings called by authorized personnel. 18) Attends Development Week activities and Commencement. 19) Is ethical in all conduct. 20) Maintains a high level of professionalism. 21) Maintains current in compliance training, including compliance under Title IX “Responsible Employee” and, if applicable, Clery Act Campus Security Authority. 22) Follows all institution and regulatory policies, procedures, and standards. Utilize self-appraisal to determine progress in meeting performance objectives and career goals. 23) Maintains current knowledge of subject matter via professional development such as professional organization membership, attendance of seminars, conferences, classes, and professional publications. 24) Performs other duties as assigned by the Dean or Associate Dean. VISUAL AND HEARING REQUIREMENTS – Must be able to see with corrective eye wear – Must be able to hear clearly with assistance – May be in contact with students under a variety of circumstances. – Able to handle emergency or crisis situations. – May be required to wear protective equipment as necessary. – May require working evening and weekend hours as needed. Physical: Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in a classroom setting; to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time; to occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, reach; to lift, carry, push, and/or pull light to moderate amounts of weight; to operate office equipment requiring repetitive hand movement and fine coordination including use of a computer keyboard; and to verbally communicate to exchange information. Activity a. Sitting Continuously (67% to 100%) b. Walking Frequently (34% to 66%) c. Standing Frequently (34% to 66%) d. Bending Occasionally (1-33%) e. Squatting Occasionally (1-33%) b. Walking Occasionally (1-33%) c. Standing Occasionally (1-33%) d. Bending Occasionally (1-33%) e. Squatting Occasionally (1-33%) f. Climbing Occasionally (1-33%) g. Kneeling Occasionally (1-33%) h. Twisting Occasionally (1-33%) i. Lifting (0-50 lbs) Occasionally (1-33%) j. Lifting (50+ lbs) Occasionally (1-33%) k. Carrying (0-50 lbs) Occasionally (1-33%) l. Carrying (50+ lbs) Occasionally (1-33%) m. Pushing (0-300 lbs) Occasionally (1-33%) n. Public Interaction (Internal/External) Continuously (67% to 100%) Posting Specific Questions - supplemental questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you bilingual in Spanish and English?
- * Do you have a Master’s degree in Horticulture/Agriculture or
closely related field?
- Cover Letter
- Teaching Philosophy
- Unofficial Transcript 1
- Curriculum Vitae
- Unofficial Transcript 2