Job Code/Title PD - Post Doctoral Position Number P00001 Working Title Postdoctoral Fellow Department Medicinal Chemistry Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Anticipated Hiring Range Commensurate Campus MCV Campus Position Type Post Doc Hours/Week Normal work days Normal work hours Job Category Laboratory Does this position provide patient or clinical services to the VCU Health System? No Does this position require a pre-placement medical assessment? No Is any portion of this position grant-funded? Yes - Continuation of this position depends on funding of the grant. Sensitive Position No Resource Critical Yes Description of the Job
We invite you to apply for our Postdoctoral Fellow position in the Department of Medicinal Chemistry. We are seeking an experienced, highly-motivated Synthetic Postdoctoral candidate to join an interdisciplinary research team; partnering with a venture-backed pharmaceutical company. The team will work towards psychopharmacological innovations. In a medicinal chemistry group, the incumbent will conduct early-stage translational research for novel chemical entities. The incumbent will synthesize and characterize small molecules that represent new therapeutic approaches to address unmet neuropsychiatric needs.
Responsibilities and Duties:
• Utilize synthetic strategies to design and execute organic syntheses of small molecule targets.
• Isolate, purify and analyze the target molecules using a variety of techniques such as organic synthesis, column chromatography, HPLC analysis, nuclear magnetic resonance ( NMR ), MS/IR/UV spectroscopy, etc.
• Research literature and patents to formulate synthetic chemistry strategies.
• Accurately document experiments and results in laboratory notebooks in a timely fashion.
• Draft manuscripts and present scientific results at meetings.
• Maintain a safe and productive laboratory environment.
• Work on several different projects of varying lengths and complexity.
• Work collaboratively with PI, other team members and administrative staff.
• Ph.D. in organic chemistry or medicinal chemistry
• Excellent skills and a proven track record in synthetic organic chemistry, compound purification, and structural characterization
• Good literature search skills
• Ability to design and improve synthetic routes to deliver compound efficiently
• Highly motivated, creative, and able to maintain excellent documentation of work
• Strong verbal, written communication skills
• Ability to troubleshoot and problem solve
•The School of Pharmacy supports a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment. The candidate is required to show demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse environment.
• Experience in working as part of a multidisciplinary team is highly desirable.
• Experience in molecular modeling including docking is a bonus.
• Prior synthetic postdoctoral training in the synthesis of heterocyclic systems is desired.
Job Open Date 05/20/2021 Remove from posting on or before Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants Additional Information Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/106227 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Other Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Pharmacology Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond