Supervisor, Grounds & Fleet Management
Supervisor of Grounds & Fleet Management is responsible for the hands-on, day-to-day supervision of all routine work activities related to the care, maintenance, repair and landscaping of the college grounds; as well as, all college vehicles and motorized equipment.
- High school diploma or equivalent, required. Associate’s Degree or vocational/technical school degree in horticulture, turf management, grounds maintenance or vehicle maintenance, preferred.
- Four (4) years’ previous experience in institutional or commercial groundskeeping or vehicle maintenance (or combination of either) with previous supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated progress toward ASE certification. Master Technician preferred.
- Valid Applicator License or be eligible to obtain within one (1) year of employment.
- Flexibility and ability to change shift when requested.
- Valid driver’s license with a clean driving record of less than five (5) points on driving record.
- Ability to participate in bloodborne pathogens training within six (6) months of employment.
- Hepatitis B vaccination or a signed waiver.
- Candidates may be required to successfully pass a background investigation, to include driving, fingerprint and criminal history evaluation.
- Candidates may be required to successfully complete a pre-hire,
post-offer physical examination, including drug screening.
This is an Essential Position and the employee must be available for campus emergencies, and to perform regular duties or other assigned duties at times when the campus is closed to students and non-essential staff. Subject to 24-hours standby or call-in for campus emergencies. May be required to work overtime or special hours as needed or required.
For best consideration please apply by June 9, 2021.
Position Specific Essential Duties
This position has a dual responsibility/functionality within Facilities Management of supervising the Grounds operation on a campus of approximately 70 acres and overseeing the Fleet Operations for the college.
1. Oversees the Fleet Management operations for the college; including, prioritizing preventative maintenance, repair, and recommendation of replacement of college-issued vehicles.
2. Develops, implements, and oversees the motor pool reservation process to ensure vehicles are available, operational and ready for college use.
3. Maintains the inventory of replacement parts and equipment.
4. Analyzes the reported malfunctions of components on all types of automotive and mechanical equipment to determine the type of failure and the necessary repair procedure; as well as, performs adjustments and repairs, as needed and required.
5. Directs, instructs and guides lesser skilled workers in performance of related tasks.
6. Maintains logs and reports for preventative maintenance program and records of mechanical work performed. Maintains a record of miles each vehicle has driven and gasoline consumed.
7. Oversees tank readings, maintains logs and coordinates tank inspections/ maintenance in compliance of Maryland Department of Environment regulations.
1. Directs, coordinates, organizes, and schedules all the day-to-day activities associated with the routine maintenance and landscaping of campus grounds of approximately 70 acres.
2. Implements, directs and coordinates a comprehensive training program; set training standards; conduct training exercises in acceptable methods and techniques, and the safety and correct utilization of grounds equipment and supplies.
3. Administers an effective and aggressive quality control program by conducting grounds inspections; implements corrective actions as required.
4. Evaluates and makes recommendations for equipment upgrades, changes in grounds maintenance methods, and work performance standards to ensure a more effective and efficient program.
5. Maintains records and logs as needed for pesticides/chemical records, inventory and training records, and other documentation, as required and necessary. Performs chemical conversions and calibration.
6. Develops, implements and coordinates the snow plan for the campus. Acts as department coordinator for inclement weather to recall and mobilize staff.
1. Supervises the activities and performance of Vehicle/Equipment Mechanics and Groundskeepers and/or Lead Groundskeeper. Oversees the motivation, efficiency, accountability, coaching and disciplining (in coordination with supervisor) staff.
2. Coordinates the work of outside contractors to ensure performance consistent with college standards and the minimum disruption to normal college activities.
3. Participates in snow removal or duties assigned in response to college emergencies, as necessary and/or directed.
4. Assists in the implementation of college and non-college events/activities.
5. Effectively performs in a service environment and follows all county, state, college, and departmental policies and procedures.
Essential Job Duties are intended to be examples of duties and are not intended to be all inclusive. There will be other duties as assigned.
CCBC Full Time Benefits At A Glance
BENEFIT SUMMARY Health and Medical
- Cigna Open Access Plus (OAP)
- Cigna Open Access Plus In Network (OAPIN)
- For CIGNA Plans - included in Cigna Plan Medical Premiums
- Kaiser - included in Kaiser Medical Premium
Emotional, drug/alcohol abuse treatment, both inpatient and outpatient, provided when pre-approved. Premium included in medical care plan.
- CareFirst Blue Cross/Blue Shield Regional Traditional
- CareFirst Blue Cross/Blue Shield Regional Preferred
- CareFirst Blue Cross /Blue Shield/ Davis Vision
- Benefit Strategies Health Spending Account $2,600
- Benefit Strategies Dependent Care (children under 13 and elder care) $5,000
- Employee Basic Life Insurance is 1 times your salary with a minimum of $50,000 (90/10)
- Employee Supplemental Life Insurance is available in multiples of $10,000 with a maximum of $200,000. Supplemental Term Life Insurance is available for spouse (increments of $10,000 to a maximum of 50% of employee combined basic and supplemental amount) and dependents ($10,000). Supplemental Term Life Insurance is 100% employee paid.
Permanent Whole Life Insurance: Unum
- Permanent Whole Life Insurance with Optional Long Term Care rider available through Unum. Available to full-time employees, part-time associates, and adjunct faculty.
- Spouse and dependent coverage available. Permanent Whole Life Insurance accrues cash value, premiums will not increase, and coverage will not decrease. Permanent Whole Life Insurance is 100% employee paid.
Individual or Family Coverage. Employee pays a rate in multiples of $10,000 to a maximum of $300,000.
Plan pays 60% of gross monthly salary after 90 consecutive days of absence. Employee pays 100% of premium.
- Maryland State Teacher’s Pension System (7% contributory)
- Optional Retirement Plan (non-contributory)
- Baltimore County Employees’ Retirement System (7% contributory)
- Tax-sheltered annuities – 403(b). Payroll salary reduction
authorization is needed. The form is available on SharePoint
Forms/Human Resources Forms.
The 403(b) supplemental retirement plan is available to all CCBC employees (Adjunct Faculty, Part Time Associates and Full Time employees).
- Roth 403(b) is a savings feature that is available when you open a 403(b) account. The Roth 403(b) savings feature allows employees to contribute after-tax dollars and then withdraw tax-free dollars from their account upon retirement. The Roth 403(b) savings feature is only offered by the following vendors: TIAA-CREF and VOYA Financial Advisors, Inc. Adjunct Faculty, Part Time Associates and Full Time employees are eligible to save for retirement using the Roth 403(b) savings feature. Employees may contribute traditional pre-tax 403(b) dollars and Roth 403(b) post-tax dollars simultaneously. The savings limits are combined for the Traditional 403(b) and the Roth 403(b) contributions.
- Deferred Compensation Plan — 457(b) offered through VOYA Financial Advisors, Inc. The 457(b) salary reduction authorization form is needed. The form is available on SharePoint Forms/Human Resources Forms.
Legal Resources is a pre-paid legal voluntary benefit for advice, consultation and representation for commonly used legal services.
First Financial Federal Credit Union membership available to employees.
It's convenient, safe, reliable and saves time. No waiting for your check on payday. The money is already in your account, whether you are at work or on vacation. Mandatory payroll direct deposit allows employees the control and flexibility of directing their pay to different accounts at any bank, in any location.
Work and Family Employee Assistance Program (EAP): Cigna Behavioral
Free personal advocates assisting you and any household member to resolve any issues.
Paid Leave Benefits
Academic, Bereavement, Sick and Safe Leave, Jury Duty, Religious Holidays, Military Leave, Sabbatical, Personal, Vacation, and Holidays.
Eligible full-time employees may qualify for waiver or reimbursement programs. Spouses and legal dependents up to age 22 are eligible for reimbursement with proof of successful completion and a C or better grade. Employee’s eligible for Tuition Assistance become eligible for the external Tuition reimbursement program the first semester after one calendar year of employment. Eligibility for waiver or reimbursement for CCBC courses begins after the completion of a 90 day probation for public safety and classified employees.
Academic Cash Award
Classified employees are eligible for a lump sum award of $500 for completion of an unduplicated college degree.
McDaniel College’s Educator’s Legacy Scholarship Program
CCBC is proud to offer an exciting new benefit to all benefits-eligible employees! Read more »
McDaniel College has extended its Educator’s Legacy Scholarship (ELS) program to CCBC benefits-eligible employees. CCBC is among the inaugural community college partners.
Children of ANY current full-time benefits-eligible CCBC employee with at least four years of continuous full-time employment are eligible to receive a scholarship valued at up to $100,000 over four (4) years.
The scholarship will first take effect in the fall semester. The CCBC Employee Benefits Team will provide verification of employment. Excellent teaching is McDaniel College's priority and its legacy. The College's expert faculty-mentors empower students to achieve their personal best, and many graduates go on to become top K-12 educators.
Since 2010, four of McDaniel's graduates were named state Teachers of the Year, including the 2011 National Teacher of the Year Michelle Shearer. McDaniel is ranked among Money Magazine's 50 Best Liberal Arts Colleges and offers more than 70 undergraduate programs of study. The personalized curriculum and student-faculty collaboration develop the unique potential in every student. McDaniel College welcomes the sons and daughters of CCBC employees!
Mandated Federal Benefits
Workers’ Compensation, Unemployment Insurance, Social Security.
For Your Convenience
- ATM machines are available at each of the main campuses
- Check cashing with appropriate ID
- Free Parking
- Access to weight lifting facilities, swimming pool and library
Do you have 4 years previous experience in institutional or commercial grounds keeping or vehicle maintenance (or combination of either) with previous supervisory experience. If yes, please describe as it specifically relates to the position description.
Do you hold an Associate's Degree or vocational/technical school degree in horticulture, turf management, grounds maintenance or vehicle maintenance? If yes please list the degree(s) as they especially relate to the position description.
Do you have a high school diploma or equivalent?
Do you have a valid driver's license with a clean driving record or less than five (5) points on driving record?
Please provide your driver's license number, issuing state, and expiration date.
Do you have demonstrated progress toward ASE certification or hold a Master Technician certification?
Do you currently hold a valid State of Maryland Applicator License or will you be eligible to obtain it within one year of employment? If currently holding the license(s) please list the categories you are certified in.
Do you have the ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends, and holidays?