External Link to Posting
Location of Workplace
Main UNCW Campus
Housing and Residence Life - 40010
Student Affairs - 40000 Division
Brief Summary of Work for this Position
The Residence Coordinator is expected to be familiar with their residents while providing support and mentoring through consistent student interactions. The Residence Coordinator is also tasked with creating a community of respect and inclusiveness centered on UNCW’s “Seahawk Respect Compact”. The primary responsibilities as the Residence Coordinator include:
- Responsible for one residential area of 400 to 660
- Supervises and evaluates 8 to 15 Residents Assistants, 1
Graduate Assistant, and indirectly 10 to 30 Desk
- Implements UNCW’s community development model to provide
educational programming, intentional interactions and a living
community of belonging.
- Serves as a rotating crisis management contact for 4000+
- Functions as a university conduct officer in the Office of the
Dean of Students adjudicating both housing and non-housing cases
and ensures University Code of Conduct and HRL Community Standards
are enforced / documented
- Manages a budget ranging of $7,000 to $35,000 and must possess
an understanding of departmental budgeting processes.
- Develops and maintains positive working relationships with colleagues across the Division of Student Affairs.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- Experience building relationships with students, supervising
and supporting students
- Demonstrates ability to oversee hall programs and serve as the
fiscal manager for the community
- Demonstrates the ability to manage conflicts and crisis
- Demonstrates the ability to communicate effectively with campus partners
Preferred Education, Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Master’s degree in College Student Development, Student
Affairs, Higher Education, Counseling or relate field
- 1 to 2 years of undergraduate or graduate staff experience in
- Experience with supervising college students, staff training /
development, student group advising, crisis management,
budget management, operating 24/7 desks, facility management, handling / report Title IX situations, and working with University Police
Required Certifications or Licensures
Primary Purpose of Organizational Unit
The Office of Housing and Residence Life ( HRL ) at the University of North Carolina Wilmington supports the philosophy that a college education facilitates the development of the total person and recognizes residence hall living as an integral part of the educational process. The Residence Life program is designed to assist students in realizing their full potential as individuals, members of the residential community, members of the University, and members of society as a whole. Residence hall living fosters increased awareness and advocacy for the individual differences, developmental self-responsibility, self-concept, self-direction, interdependence, and the mastering of increasingly complex developmental tasks. The residence halls provide an environment where students are able to meet their educational goals through an integration of various learning opportunities that combine classroom learning with learning opportunities outside the classroom.
The University of North Carolina Wilmington, the state’s coastal university, is dedicated to the integration of teaching, mentoring, research and service. Widely acknowledged for its world-class faculty and staff and continuously recognized at a national level for scholarly excellence and affordability, UNCW offers a powerful academic experience that stimulates creative inquiry and critical thinking and a community rich in diversity, inclusion and global perspectives.
A public institution with nearly 18,000 students, UNCW offers a full range of baccalaureate- and graduate-level programs, as well as doctoral degrees in educational leadership, marine biology, nursing practice and psychology; and many distance learning options, including clinical research, an accelerated RN-to- BSN program, an Executive M.B.A. program structured for working professionals, and the nation’s only bachelor’s degree program focused on coastal engineering.
The university’s efforts to advance research and scholarly activities have earned UNCW the elevated designation of “Doctoral Universities: High Research Activity” institution (R2 University) by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.
UNCW has been part of the University of North Carolina System since 1969.
At the University of North Carolina at Wilmington ( UNCW ), our culture reflects our values of inclusion, diversity, globalization, ethics and integrity and innovation and we are committed to providing equality of educational and employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, sex (such as gender, gender identity, marital status, childbirth, and pregnancy), age, color, national origin (including ethnicity), religion, disability, sexual orientation, political affiliation, veteran status, military service member status, genetic information, or relationship to other university constituents – except where sex, age, or ability represent bona fide educational or occupational qualifications or where marital status is a statutorily established eligibility criterion for State funded employee benefit programs. UNCW believes that embracing the unique contributions of our faculty, staff and students is critical to our success and paramount in being recognized for our global mindset.
Eligibility for Employment
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. UNC Wilmington participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Number of Openings
Special Notes to Applicants
Months Per Year
Type of Position
Anticipated Ending Date if Time-Limited Positions
Job Posting Date
Posting Close Date
- Cover Letter
- List of 3 Professional References
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity with UNC Wilmington
- UNCW Website
- UNCW Facebook Page
- UNCW Linkedin Page
- UNCW Twitter Account
- UNCW Employee Referral
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Diverse Issues in Higher Education
- Higher Ed Jobs
- Hispanic Outlook
- Inside Higher Ed
- North Carolina Job Network
- Women In Higher Education
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington
- Education Administration & Leadership Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington