Chair, Department of Anatomy
Howard University College of Medicine seeks an academic leader to serve as Chair of the Department of Anatomy. The position reports directly to Hugh E. Mighty, MD, MBA, Dean, College of Medicine and Vice President of Clinical Affairs for Howard University. The organization is undergoing exciting, transformational change. The Campus Master Plan includes a state-of-the-art teaching Hospital and Medical Office Building as well as an integrated Health Sciences Complex and STEM Center to serve as a centerpiece and catalyst for interdisciplinary research and patient care.
The Chair will be responsible for administering and maintaining the high standards of the Anatomy graduate program, as well as the core curriculum for educating College of Medicine and Allied Health students. The Chair will be responsible for overseeing the Department of Anatomy and driving its mission of providing clinical services, teaching, and research. The Department plays a critical role in the enriched learning environment within College of Medicine and the historic Howard University Hospital. With 13 faculty members, the Department’s key offerings include Molecular, Cell & Developmental Biology, Neuroscience, Evolutionary & Organismal Biology, Epigenetics and Aging, Evolutionary Developmental Biology, and Paleobiology.
Howard University provides critically important medical services to underserved communities throughout the nation’s capital region. The Chair will oversee the recruitment and development of Department of Anatomy faculty, as well as supervising and collaborating with administrative staff and healthcare professionals.
The Chair will support the College of Medicine (COM). The College has a proud history of providing the highest quality of medical training and creating opportunities for minority students. The Chair will have expert knowledge of administrative procedures, quality measurement and regulations related to the practice of medicine as well as the academic curriculum. The Department of Anatomy has a high standard of professionalism and strives to provide excellent care.
- Oversee and administer the Department of Anatomy; propose and administer budgets and seek outside funding.
- Maintain the residency program and other core curriculum offerings to their highest standards.
- Support interdisciplinary partnerships throughout the enterprise.
- Optimize revenue cycle opportunities for the Department.
- Continue to retain and recruit a diverse, highly respected Faculty.
- Fortify funding opportunities and Faculty to deepen basic science and clinical research.
- Department governance and office management.
- Collect, interpret, and present data pertaining to the administration of the Department.
- Develop and oversee Department faculty and staff; including recruitment, management, and professional development.
- Administer the Department’s policies regarding students and residents as needed.
- Occasionally represent Howard University in public communications.
The ideal candidate should be nationally recognized in areas which are consistent with Howard University College of Medicine’s mission by providing education, services and research for the underserviced and underrepresented groups in medicine. The selected candidate must have extensive experience as a director of both clinical anatomy programs and subject expertise in at least one of the key research concentrations: Molecular, Cellular & Developmental Biology, Neuroscience, and Evolutionary & Organismal Biology. The successful applicant will be expected to have the ability to recruit and develop faculty to provide support to key programs. In addition, the candidate will have a strong commitment to the education and mentorship of students, residents and faculty.
Competencies & Areas of Expertise
- A track record of success in medical leadership that is strategic, inspirational, and accountable.
- Excellent teaching skills.
- Ability to improve departmental operations including revenue cycle.
- Advocate for department to ensure resources and standards are market leading.
- Excellent organizational and administration skills.
- Ability to clearly and actively communicate to all levels within the organization.
- Demonstrated evidence of strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; ability to influence/persuade all levels of faculty and staff.
- A demonstrated ability to lead people and get results through others.
- A demonstrated willingness and ability to work effectively with diverse audiences.
- Ability to quickly establish personal credibility and stature to quickly gain the respect of a variety of constituents including University executives, Cabinet Officers, Department Heads and staff, consultants, and professionals and the ability to work successfully with them over the long term.
- A track record of interdisciplinary partnerships.
- A visionary, collaborative leader who can inspire the team and recruit top tier talent at the national level.
- Must possess a thorough knowledge and understanding of University policies, procedures, and protocols.
- Flexibility, resourcefulness, and creative approaches to unique problems as well as an understanding of the wider campus context in which these problems must be addressed.
- A proven track record of success as faculty within an academic medical institution or comparable experience in a complex clinical setting.
- PhD, MD or MD/PhD degree from an accredited institution.
- Must be eligible for promotion to a faculty appointment in the Department at the rank of Full Professor or have already obtained the rank of Professor in a Department of Anatomy.
Location and Remuneration
The position is located in Washington, D.C. Consistent with a position of this importance, Howard University will provide the successful candidate a competitive compensation and benefits package.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Health & Medicine Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Other Health & Medicine Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Administrative Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Academic Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.