Senior Business Analyst
We are a community committed to preparing students to be educated and enlightened citizens who lead productive and meaningful lives.
To be the national model for the engaged university: engaged with ideas and the world.
Who We Are
Established in 1908, James Madison University is a comprehensive public institution offering undergraduate, masters and doctoral programs to more than 20,000 students. JMU is regarded as one of the finest regional universities in the nation and has been continuously cited in U.S. News and World Report, Changing Times and Money Magazine as an outstanding public university. Located in the heart of Virginia’s beautiful Shenandoah Valley, the city of Harrisonburg is approximately 120 miles from Washington, D.C. and Richmond, VA. Known for its livability, diversity, local food, arts and natural surroundings, this Virginia Main Street community is a great place to live and work.
The Sr. Business Analyst provides quality functional and technical support to assist end users with their use of complex software applications and business systems. Demonstrated success in building meaningful and productive relationships with senior managers, peers, and customers.
Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Partner with the user community to analyze existing business processes and identify areas for process improvement.
- Mentor and provide leadership to junior and mid-level Business Analysts.
- Partner with the user community to identify, analyze and communicate new business / data requirements.
- Produce, with the user community, functional and technical requirement specifications. Perform research, in conjunction with Information Systems personnel, to produce design documents.
- Develop, document and perform system, integration, and user acceptance tests.
- Support/perform development, documentation, implementation and support of complex projects related to information systems and data governance.
- Provide support to customers.
- Work with leadership to define roles and responsibilities related to data governance
- Assist in facilitating the development and implementation of data management and data quality standards
- Collect and document current state of data processes being followed in different business units for further analysis
- Contribute to identification and execution of continuous improvement opportunities
- Demonstrated change management concepts and strategies including excellent communication skills
- Bachelors Degree in a related discipline
- Ability to articulate vision of transformation efforts and a sense of mission
- Willingness to promote change and provide direction
- Excellent analysis and project management skills
- Proven ability to break down complex problems and projects into manageable goals
- Excellent writing skills, with the ability to create clear requirements, specifications and documentation
- Effectiveness in building trust, respect and cooperation among teams
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience with a higher education organization, with data analysis, large-scale data or project management and oversight experience.
- Knowledge of industry leading data quality and data management practices
- Knowledge of Data Governance practices
- Masters in Computer Science, MIS, or Information Management
James Madison University is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status.