President, Watts College of Nursing
- Lead with a clear vision to implement a long-range strategic, operational, and financial plan to promote and maintain growth, quality, success, and reputation.
- Direct responsibility for daily operations, implementation of programs, performance of staff and faculty, outcomes of the program.
- Oversight of financial/business operations, creation and administration of the budget, development of financial contributions and gift, strong vision related to strategic planning.
- Make policy recommendations to the Board on all matters that affect the College.
- Ensure compliance and reporting to the state and national regulatory and accreditation boards.
- Provide leadership in development of academic programs to meet DUHS and market needs.
- Promote collaborative relationships with the community and professional organizations while advocating for the college.
Ideal candidates will possess the skills and experience listed below:
- Possess strong vision and strategic planning skills.
- Have demonstrated successful experience in planning and managing budgets, with experience in gift development and accessing outside funding source.
- Have successful experience in working with a governing board.
- Work collaboratively to promote and maintain diversity, equity and inclusion with strength in building and developing teams.
This position reports directly to the Board of Director for the College, and monthly to the President of Duke Regional Hospital and the Vice President of Patient Care & System Chief Nurse Executive and Duke University Health System Associate Dean of Clinical Affairs Duke University School of Nursing. Details for the position can be found in the job description below:
General Description of the Job Class
- Effectively lead and direct the planning, coordination, provision and improvement of health care services for DUHS entity hospital. Serves as an officer of Duke University Health System and participates in Health System decision making as appropriate.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
- Ensure sufficient resources (personnel and financial) are invested in the implementation of the DUHS entity hospital Performance Improvement Plan so that all aspects of the plan are in place.
- Ensure compliance with regulatory agencies governing health care delivery by continually monitoring the operations of DUHS entity hospital programs and physical properties.
- Ensure timely, relevant and accurate financial information.
- Implement strategies to meet staffing per patient day.
- Meet or exceed the budget forecasts.
- Enhance DUHS entity hospital visibility in and contributions to the community through personal (e.g., membership in civic organizations) and delegated activities and commitment of resources.
- Become a visible entity in local discussions regarding community health care needs (e.g., discussions with Durham Health Partners, County Health Department, etc.).
- Uphold DUHS entity hospital affirmative action initiatives and encourage achievement of EEO status in all occupational categories.
- Communicate DUHS entity hospital strategic plan to all employees.
- Materially improve Medical Staff relations by personal contact with members of the medical staff and participate in medical staff activities as appropriate.
- Provide BOT with advanced information on significant issues that may arise between Board meetings, particularly those with potential for public disclosure.
- Provide periodic (at least annually) communication to DUHS entity hospital personnel regarding the mission and recognition of employee contributions to the mission.
- Uphold social, ethical and organizational norms in all DUHS job-related activities.
- Weigh alternative actions and make decisions that reflect the facts of a situation.
- Express ideas effectively in individual, public, and group situations.
- Use appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to guide individuals or groups to accomplish tasks.
- Role model enthusiasm, competence and commitment to quality that is desired from all DUHS employees.
- Gain mutual agreement on or acceptance of a decision or course of action from individuals with real or perceived conflicting interest.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Required Qualifications at this Level
Masters degree in health care or hospital administration. Valid NC Nursing license required.
Nine years of related experience in health care administration.