Instructor - Mathematics
The Department of Mathematical Sciences at The Citadel, the Military College of South Carolina, seeks applications for a full-time mathematics instructor, beginning August, 2021. Housed within The Citadel’s Swain Family School of Science and Mathematics, The Department of Mathematical Sciences is committed to excellence in teaching and the development of principled leaders. The department currently offers the Bachelor of Science degree in Mathematics, undergraduate minors in applied mathematics and applied statistics, and graduate courses supporting the Master of Arts in Teaching Mathematics offered within the Zucker Family School of Education.
This position is a 9-month appointment. In addition to teaching, the position includes responsibility throughout the year as coordinator of the mathematics readiness program, outlined below.
Responsibilities at the undergraduate level may include any of the lower-division foundation or service mathematics courses required for majors or non-majors. The normal teaching load is 15 credit hours per semester or a total of 30 credit hours for the fall and spring semesters. Teaching in the summer is not required and any additional teaching in the summer will be paid following The Citadel Summer Pay Policy for faculty.
Coordinator of the Mathematics Readiness Program
Responsibilities include the following:
- During the fall and spring semester, coordination of all sections of Precalculus (MATH 119); supervision of graduate assistants for MATH 119; supervision and training of Peer Instruction (PI) assistants for MATH 119.
- In the summer, administration of the Math Placement Exam (MPE)
- Hosting math placements for all incoming freshmen whose degree programs or scholarships require MATH 131 (Calculus I)
- Hosting two free online workshops for reviewing and refreshing skills in college algebra and trigonometry.
- Staffing well-qualified faculty or students to proctor the MPE
- Staffing well-qualified faculty to teach MATH 118 (College Algebra with Trigonometry) and MATH 119 offered by the Citadel Success Institute (CSI).
Applicants must possess an earned master’s or doctoral degree in mathematics, or a closely related field, with a minimum of 18 credit hours in graduate-level mathematics courses. Candidates should demonstrate a passion for and a commitment to teaching excellence as well as dedication to the success of students and the growth and health of the department.
In addition to the online application on The Citadel's career page; interested individuals should submit a letter of application, curriculum vitae, and statement of teaching philosophy to Dr. Mei Chen by email at email@example.com . In the letter of application, please address qualifications to direct the mathematics readiness program. If you have any questions or concerns while applying at The Citadel Careers website, please call The Citadel’s HR Office at 843-953-6922.
Questions about the position may be directed to Dr. Mei Chen, Chair, Instructor Faculty Search Committee, Department of Mathematical Sciences, The Citadel, 171 Moultrie Street, Charleston, SC 29409, by phone: (843) 953-7882, or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org . Review of applications will begin on May 31, 2021, and continue until the position is filled.
Applications from women and minorities are especially encouraged. The Citadel is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer actively committed to ensuring diversity in all campus employment.
Advertised: May 18 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Jul 15 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Charleston
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Charleston
- Curriculum & Instruction Not specified Full Time jobs in Charleston
- Teacher Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Charleston
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Charleston