Senior Public Safety Officer
Senior Public Safety Officer
Mohawk Valley Community College provides accessible, high-quality educational opportunities to meet the diverse needs of our students. We are the community’s college, committed to student success through partnerships, transfer and career pathways, and personal enrichment.
The College is looking for exceptional colleagues. We seek candidates with: (1) an understanding of the college mission and teaching experience in a comprehensive community college; (2) a focus on student success in a learner-centered environment; and (3) a willingness to use technology to support learning in the academic setting, including on-line instruction and assessment of student learning outcomes.
MVCC is seeking to fill two full-time positions in our Department of Public Safety . The Senior Public Safety Officer provides for the protection and safety of persons and property on the campuses of Mohawk Valley Community College.
Key responsibilities for this position include:
- Implements and maintains established security plans, policies and procedures for the provision of a safe, secure campus environment and the protection of persons and property;
- Patrols buildings, grounds and parking areas on foot or in a patrol vehicle to maintain order, protect persons and property, control traffic, provide first aide and to prevent trespassing, theft or damage;
- Acts as liaison between the college and law enforcement and fire fighting agencies to establish and maintain an effective system of crime and fire prevention and to insure an accurate, expedient reporting system;
- Investigates, documents and makes follow up reports and recommendations of all incidents reported or assigned to the Senior Public Safety Officer and implements recommendations as directed;
- Monitors the effective operation of security and fire alarm and energy management systems to assure full operational condition; reports on and takes corrective action necessary to rectify any operational deficiencies or defects;
- Assists in fire alarm practices, evacuations and emergency operations activities;
- Makes regularly scheduled fire inspections of buildings and fire extinguishers;
- Maintains campus incident and crime and safety records; develops related reports for the college, state university system and federal, state and local governments as required;
- Works with campus groups and employees on such programs as self-protection, escort services, student patrols and the prevention of crime on campus;
- Identifies problem areas and suggests changes in lighting, shrubbery or concealed areas;
- Is responsible for the security of campus buildings and facilities when not in use, secures and checks all doors, windows and entrances to building to be sure that they are secure;
- Assures that all doors and entrances are unlocked for daily activities and classes;
- Controls and directs traffic on campus or campus related roads, grounds and parking areas; issues parking violation tickets;
- Investigates motor vehicle accidents that occur on campus or campus related property;
- Provides assistance to motorists with lock-outs, dead batteries and other vehicular problems;
- Gives directions and information to students and visitors;
- Keeps order at public gatherings and special campus events;
- Coordinates with Student Affairs to enforce college’s student conduct and disciplinary procedures;
- Contacts snow removal contractor/grounds crew when necessary;
- Works closely with outside law enforcement agencies to coordinate investigative activities that lead off campus or may come on to campus;
- Operates a motor vehicle on and off campus to extension sites and governmental agencies to carry out essential job functions;
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director of Public Safety and Emergency Management.
This is a competitive position and successful candidate will be required to pass the Oneida County Civil Service examination for the Senior Public Safety Officer position. To view frequently asked questions for local civil service administration and examinations at: https://www.cs.ny.gov/jobseeker/local/faqs.cfm
Senior Public Safety Officer Job Specification:
Mohawk Valley Community College is committed to transforming lives through learning, and as you help students secure the financial resources to pursue their dreams, you will be critical to the College mission and the student experience.
(A) Graduation from a regionally accredited college or university or one accredited by the New York State Board of Regents to grant degrees with an associate’s degree OR completion of sixty (60) semester credit hours * ; OR
(B) Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma AND two (2) years of work experience*, or its part time equivalent, as a police officer, peace officer, or in military service.
* Possession of a Phase 1 Police Officer certificate from an approved Municipal Police Training Council Training Program may be substituted for thirty (30) semester credit hours required under (A) OR for one (1) year of the work experience required under (B).
- Must possess a New York State driver's license at the time of appointment and throughout employment.
- Must possess a two year degree and/or sixty semester credit hours. Must be twenty one (21) years of age.
MVCC conducts a thorough background investigation, psychological examination and fingerprinting before an offer of employment is extended for this position. MVCC covers the cost of the background investigation, psychological examination and fingerprinting.
- Currently possesses Police Certification, Campus Peace Officer Certification, completion of a Phase One Police Academy within the last two years.
- Currently possess a valid New York State Pistol Permit.
Special Instructions to Applicants: Official academic transcripts required upon hire. This is a Provisional Appointment. This is a competitive position and successful candidate will be required to pass the Oneida County Civil Service examination for the Senior Public Safety Officer position. To view frequently asked questions for local civil service administration and examinations at: https://www.cs.ny.gov/jobseeker/local/faqs.cfm Senior Public Safety Officer Job Specification: https://ocgov.net/oneida/sites/default/files/personnel/JobSpecs/S/SeniorPublicSafetyOfficer.pdf
Review Start Date: 5/31/2021
Mohawk Valley Community College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer deeply committed to a community of excellence, equity, and diversity. MVCC maintains an inclusive learning environment in which students, faculty, administrators, staff, curriculum, social activities, governance, and all other aspects of campus life reflect a diverse, multi-cultural, and global worldview. We value the many similarities and differences among individuals and groups. We are committed to preparing students to understand, live among, appreciate, and work in a world made up of people with different ethnic and racial backgrounds, military backgrounds, religious beliefs, socio-economic status, cultural traditions, different abilities, sexual orientations and gender identities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status or on the basis of disability.