Assistant to the President for Board and Executive Relations
Assistant to the President for Board and Executive Relations
About Western Kentucky University:
Western Kentucky University (WKU) is a student-centered, applied-research institution committed to providing its students with a transformative academic and social experience and to elevating its surrounding communities. Founded in 1906, WKU is the second largest undergraduate institution in the Commonwealth of Kentucky with approximately 17,500 students (32% first generation, 18% underrepresented minority) and nearly 2,900 faculty and staff employees.
Western Kentucky University is committed to empowering its campus community to embrace diversity by building equitable and inclusive learning, working, and living environments. At the heart of our mission, we seek to provide holistic education and employment experiences that prepare students, faculty, and staff to become effective scholars, contributors, and leaders in our diverse and evolving communities.
Located 65 miles north of Nashville, TN, and just over 100 miles south of Louisville, KY, WKU's main campus is in Bowling Green, KY - a city with approximately 70,000 residents. With an ethnically and diverse population, more than 85 languages are spoken in and around Bowling Green, and people from 35 nationalities call our community home.
Western Kentucky University seeks to attract talented faculty and staff who are inspired individually to contribute to WKU's strategic plans and ongoing success. We offer comprehensive wellness and health benefits to employees and their families, including domestic partners and other qualified dependents and take pride in providing a workplace culture that supports balancing the responsibilities of work and family life. Paid-time off for holidays, vacation and sick leave, and a tuition discount program for employees and dependents are also provided. Learn more about WKU and Bowling Green at wku.edu/about.
Purpose of Position:
Performs a variety of complex administrative duties requiring a high degree of initiative, accuracy, judgment, knowledge, discretion, and efficiency working under very limited supervision. This position has responsibilities for high-level administrative support functions and activities required in the function of the WKU Board of Regents. Position reports to the President.
The following duties are customary for this position, but are not to be construed as all-inclusive. Duties may be added, deleted, and assigned based on management discretion and institutional needs.
- Prepares agenda and supporting materials required for all meetings of the Board of Regents following prescribed format and specific directions of President and ensures the Regents receive information in a timely manner.
- Attends Board meetings and documents all records, minutes, actions, and deliberations.
- Facilitates the orientation of new Regents, in conjunction with the President.
- Maintains regular and consistent communication with the Board of Regents, particularly the Board Chair.
- Ensures all Board protocols and rules of order are followed.
- Ensures prompt and deliberate follow up to Board-related needs, requests, and actions.
- Works directly with the Board Chair to facilitate the President's annual evaluation by the Board of Regents.
- Works closely with the General Counsel to ensure the Board is conducting business in accordance with the state and federal laws pertaining to governing boards.
- Works closely with the Office of Special Events to ensure proper orchestration of all Board meetings and Board-related events.
- Works closely with the Office of Media Relations to send Board meeting notices, agendas, and meeting materials to all faculty and staff, as well as media outlets to comply with Open Records laws.
- Ensures the accuracy and currency of the WKU Board of Regents web page.
- Serves as liaison and primary contact between the Board of Regents and University units/departments and employees, working directly with the Board Chair and the President.
- Serves as point of contact with Governor's staff as it relates to appointments to the Board of Regents.
- Coordinates special projects and initiatives as assigned by the President.
- Contributes to the overall success of the Office of the President by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Plans, schedules, and prioritizes work activities and assignments to ensure efficiency and effectiveness of assigned duties.
- Maintains sensitive and confidential files in an organized manner for efficient storage and retrieval.
- Oversight of President's Home maintenance and operational matters.
- Plans and coordinates presidential events at the President's Home.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
- Must have a highly developed judgment and skill in maintaining confidentiality and differentiating staff and board level roles and responsibilities.
- Must have the ability to work in a collaborative team environment, both in leadership and peer relationships.
- Must be knowledgeable and proficient in the use of common computing equipment and software applications including Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Loyalty and willingness to commit time and effort necessary for efficient task completion.
- Knowledge of University organizational and governing structure.
- Handles all matters with appropriate courtesy, sensitivity, and professionalism.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the skill to synthesize lengthy transcripts with concise and precise minutes.
- Ability to work with self-direction, under limited supervision.
- Professional and courteous disposition.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Five years of highly responsible experience in office administration
- Proficient in the use of computer and common software applications
- Strong communication (verbal and written), organizational and general office skills
- Exemplary interpersonal skills appropriate for the Board of Regents and Office of the President
Anticipated Salary Range: $50,000 - $70,000
Kentucky state law requires all public institutions of postsecondary education to conduct pre-employment criminal background checks to determine suitability for employment.
Western Kentucky University (WKU) is committed to a policy and practice of providing equal employment and educational opportunities to all individuals. In accordance with Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Revised 1992, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, no form of discrimination or harassment will be tolerated at WKU on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, creed, religion, political belief, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, age, uniformed services, veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, or physical or mental disability in admission to career and technical education programs and/or activities, or employment practices.
Persons with disabilities, who need reasonable accommodations to participate in the application and/or selection process, should notify the office of Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action/University ADA Services (EEO). To request an accommodation, report/express a complaint, or ask questions regarding WKU''s Discrimination and Harassment Policy (#0.2040), please contact Mr. Joshua Hayes, EEO Director/Title IX Investigator/University ADA Coordinator, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (270) 745-5121.
The University is also required to investigate complaints of sex and gender-based harassment, also a form of discrimination, and has designated the Title IX Coordinator as the individual responsible for coordinating the investigation and response to such complaints. The Title IX Coordinator for the University is Ms. Deborah Wilkins, who can be contacted via email at email@example.com or by phone at (270) 745-5396. Additional information regarding Title IX is accessible via WKU''s https://www.wku.edu/titleix/ website.
Information concerning educational programs offered by WKU are provided at: http://www.wku.edu/atwku/academics.php
The following items must be submitted through the electronic talent management system by May 26, 2021, although expressions of interest may be considered until the position is filled:
- Cover Letter
You will receive email confirmation once you have successfully completed the application process.