Aquatics Facility Manager (16101)
This position is responsible for the daily operation and supervision of the Reeves Aquatic Center including, but not limited to the hiring, training, scheduling, and evaluating of the lifeguard staff, providing appropriate support for athletic meets and pool rentals, assisting in pool and equipment maintenance, and continuing to grow recreational programming in compliance with departmental and university policies and procedures. This position will also assist with the supervision of the Sports Center as a Manager on Duty for the Jacobs Fitness Center.
- Recruit, hire, train, schedule, supervise and evaluate all lifeguards and swim instructors. Provide monthly in-service training and staff meetings for all staff.
- Coordinate routine cleaning and preventative maintenance of the Aquatic Center. Collaborate with University Facility Management and Energy Management for the purchasing and evaluation of the Aquatic Center and Pool Mechanical Room. Ensures proper operation of the swimming pool filtration and heating systems, including systematic tests of water quality and pool temperature, adjustments of chemical content and system flow, maintenance of required pool logs and successful completion of the D.C. pool inspection process. This position also orders all chemicals and equipment necessary for the successful operation of the pool. Manage facility projects and the scheduling of the annual pool shutdown.
- Plan and schedule all aquatic related programming for Recreational Sports & Fitness. Oversee operations of Aquatic events including NCAA swim meets and 3rd party rentals. Manage the day-to-day operations of Aquatic Facility contracts under the direction of the Assistant Athletic Director of Facilities & Operations.
- Oversee, review, and update the risk management policies and procedures of Recreational Sports & Fitness. Perform risk assessments and facilitate staff emergency preparedness audits. Maintain first aid supplies and accident report records. Manage the Red Cross AP agreement and all safety trainings for Athletics & Recreation.
- Under the direction of the Assistant Director, Competitive Sports & Aquatics, oversees the Aquatic division operational budgets in accordance with procedures and uphold accountability for operating within approved budget limits.
- This position reports directly to the Assistant Director, Competitive Sports & Aquatics and works closely with the Assistant Athletic Director of Facilities and Operations, Varsity Swim Coach, and University Facility Management.
- The incumbent will provide direction and training to lifeguards and swim instructor staff.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full time
- Coordinator/Analyst B
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Physical Education, Kinesiology, Recreation Administration, Sports Management or related field or equivalent in education, training and/or experience.
- At least 2 years of relevant work experience in a recreational aquatic facility. Previous supervisory experience required.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills required; The following certifications are required: American Red Cross in CPR, First Aid and Life Saving/Safety Training; Lifeguard Instructor (LGI); Certified Pool Operator (CPO)
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master’s degree preferred in Physical Education, Kinesiology, Recreation Administration, Sports Management or related field preferred.
- The following certifications are preferred: Water Safety Instructor (WSI) and Aquatic Facility Operator (AFO).
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on the successful completion of a background check
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email firstname.lastname@example.org .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Kinesiology, Exercise Physiology & Physical Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.