Under general direction and reporting to Director of Administrative Services for Facilities Development & Operation, the Trust Accountant is primarily responsible for providing financial support for a large and complex organizational unit. This position is responsible for ensuring effective financial systems and controls, monitoring and reporting financial status, and conducting analysis and providing useful information on budget development and accounting reconciliations, trust/escrow accounting, financial policies and procedures, and cost allocations. Position is required to work often with complex multiple funding sources and contract accounting issues.
- Responsible for monitoring and reporting the financial status of departmental recharge and trust funds; advises Department Managers on financial status and ensures all invoices, JE, CPO and other entries are completed in a timely and accurate manner
- Establish the initial and on-going financial reporting requirements for trust funds; advises Managers/Buyers of status of requests within Requisition/PO/Change Order/AP system with respect to accounting status
- Develop and prepare monthly financial reports, budget augmentations and adjustments, prepares/updates monthly recharges; review all non-salary expenses related to the assigned portfolio
- Prepares Management reports for managers and assist with projections related to the Utilities Operations, Utilities Reserve, Library Maintenance funds, Library Special Project Fund, M&O Project Management Trust and Construction Management Trust; provide monthly, quarterly and annual financial status reports related to trust funds
- Prepared annual budget for trust accounts. Analyzes prior year spending and provide 2 year prior actuals, current year projection and 3 year future budget based on historical spend
- Assists with the development of the 5 year annual operating budget forecast for the Joint University and City Library. Reviews budget requests and conducts monthly budget expenditure analysis
- Full responsibility for the implementation and interpretation of accounting policies and procedures related to trust accounts to ensure that the accounting transactions are appropriate. Reconciles monthly payments and monitors the status of funds and adhere to accounting principles that are in compliance with Federal, State and GAAP requirements
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Demonstrated working knowledge of the construction industry and constructions documents.
- Thorough knowledge of statistical and arithmetical presentation of data.
- Thorough knowledge of use of Enterprise financial system.
- Working knowledge of government accounting methods and related laws, rules and regulations.
- Ability to analyze and interpret accounting data.
- Advanced knowledge proficiency with current word processing and spreadsheet, software programs, web browsers, query tools, integrated financial systems and/or other types of records management systems.
- General understanding of internal control methods.
- Ability to prepare clear, accurate financial statements and reports.
- Ability to present financial information to all levels of staff and management.
- Ability to utilize problem-solving techniques and apply solutions to complex accounting problems.
- Understanding of applicable rules, regulations, policies and principles.
- Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Ability to make sound decisions and recommendations regarding accounting activities.
- Interpretation and application of all related policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, and agency rules or regulations.
- Must be able to accommodate a work schedule that varies according to operational needs and may include evening and weekend hours.
- Equivalent to a bachelor’s degree with a major in accounting, business administration, finance or a closely related field or a combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities.
- Equivalent to two years of progressively responsible professional accounting experience.
- Two years of progressively responsible budget, financial management experience, including the study, analysis, development, evaluation and improvement of administrative and financial management policies procedures and practices.
- Three years of experience working in Capital Project Accounting
Classification: Accountant II
Anticipated Hiring Range: up to $6,437/month
Salary Range: $4,161/month - $8,030/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: May 18, 2021 through June 1, 2021 . This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: May 18, 2021 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Accounting & Finance Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose