The Payroll Coordinator is responsible for processing and preparing payroll. In addition, the Payroll Coordinator will act as the primary liaison between the Business Office, the Office of Human Resources, and the campus community to resolve payroll related inquiries from faculty, staff, students and vendors.
- Prepare and distributes Faculty, Exempt Staff, Non-Exempt Staff, and Student Payrolls, ensuring accuracy and adherence to all payroll policies and procedures.
- Prepare checks, contract, invoice, or payment discrepancies.
- Reviews and approves vendor creation/maintenance in accounting system, ensuring vendors are established according to policy and IRS regulations with no duplication.
- Provide excellent customer service through timely and accurate responses to all vendors, staff, supervisors, department personnel, students and outside agencies.
- Ensure all garnishments received are legal and valid, responded to in a timely manner, processed through payroll, and debited to the appropriate payee account;
- Calculate and remit union dues and pension contributions within the mandated timeline, and ensure rates are updated when notified by carriers;
- Collaborate with campus departments to research and implement needed changes to policies and procedures to improve the quality and effectiveness of payroll services.
- Manage special payroll actions including, but not limited to: processing Personal Action Forms, W-2, 1042-S, 1099R, and 1099M; corrections and duplicates, direct deposit enrollments, replacement paychecks and returned paychecks; and completing wage verifications.
- Quarterly reconcile 941 tax returns against payroll registers to ensure accuracy; Communicate any discrepancies to the AVP if Finance;
- In collaboration with the AVP for Finance, participate in the development of departmental policies and procedures, forms, etc. designed to increase and/or expedite payroll procedures.
- In collaboration with the AVP for Finance, complete annual workers’ compensation audit(s) and annual financial audits. Assist with journal entry preparation, as needed;
- Assist the Business Office and the Office of Human Resources with annual financial and 403(b) audit preparation as requested.
- Participate in Finance Team meetings and other University teams and strategic initiatives to foster cross-collaboration and enhance communication within the University as assigned;
- Open, stamp, log and sort incoming business office mail as needed.
- Perform other duties consistent with the tasks of this position as may be assigned.
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must have a strong work ethic with dedication to customer service and satisfaction;
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment, or independently, and with various levels of staff to accomplish the goals of the Business Office.
- Knowledge of all relevant payroll, employment, and income tax laws, regulations, and operating guidelines, and the ability to keep current on payroll processing, compliance, and reporting.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, strong interpersonal skills, superior telephone etiquette and demonstrated ability to interact effectively with students, faculty, staff and vendors.
- Strong analytical, research, and technical skills, and the ability to identify and resolve multifaceted payroll problems.
- Ability to analyze and interpret policy and procedural questions.
- Ability to establish priorities, organize workflow, manage multiple tasks and projects, follow-up, and meet deadlines in a fast paced environment.
- Proficiency in the use of computerized payroll system; Knowledge of Paycom payroll system, preferred
- Demonstrated ability to manage and maintain confidentiality of records and information.
ORGANIZATIONAL RESPONSIBILITY: No direct reports.
Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited College or University preferred.
Experience: Minimum experience of five years in a accounts payable or payroll function involving increasing levels of responsibility, preferably in Higher Education; Intermediate Excel and Word skills.
Licenses or Certificates: None required.
Additional Requirements: A background and/or credit check will be required of the successful applicant. An official transcript (if applicable) and names, addresses and phone numbers of three (3) references will be required of the successful applicant.