A.T. Still University (ATSU) is seeking an Assistant Director of
Facilities on the Kirksville, Missouri, campus. The position
reports to the Director of Facilities. The Assistant Director of
Facilities will assist in planning, directing, managing, and
overseeing the activities and operations of the Kirksville,
Missouri, campus. Duties include land use planning, construction
maintenance, facilities maintenance, and operation; assisting with
the supervision, monitoring, reviewing, and auditing of the
construction of new buildings and facilities and the reconstruction
of existing facilities and buildings; overseeing, monitoring, and
evaluating maintenance, custodial, and energy management activities
for the ATSU Kirksville campus; and other related functions as
directed. At times this position will be hands-on with day to day
operations. The position is also responsible for ensuring
compliance with federal, state, local, and university regulations,
procedures, and policies related to the physical condition and
operation of the ATSU Kirksville campus.
Major Job Duties
- Assist in coordinating contracted work with architects,
engineers, inspectors, local government officials, and others
pertaining to construction of facilities.
- Assist with representing ATSU in working with the state,
county, and the city land use and planning agencies.
- Assist in developing, submitting, and accounting for all
documents required by controller’s office.
- Assist with planning, organizing, coordinating, and directing
the construction, maintenance, repair, and remodeling of ATSU
- Supervise and coordinate the operations and activities related
to ATSU’s building and grounds operations; plan and administer ATSU
policies and procedures related to the care and maintenance of the
college buildings, grounds and infrastructure.
- Assist with monitoring contractors providing construction and
maintenance related services to ensure adherence to project
specifications, timelines, and appropriate standards of
- Assist with determining operational policies, guidelines,
priorities, and the scheduling and control of various ongoing and
major construction and reconstruction projects.
- Assist with planning, organizing, and directing facility and
equipment preventative maintenance programs, including
implementation and maintenance of a systemized data management,
storage and retrieval system.
- Participate in maintaining a cost effective and cost beneficial
operational mode, and to ensure that appropriate quality control
and performance standards are maintained.
- Assist with managing the capital and maintenance budgets for
ATSU as they relate to construction and maintenance.
- Coordinate work activities between department units,
contractors, and other campus groups through oral and written
communications; inspect work performed and resolve deficiencies as
needed. Includes ATSU custodial, maintenance, grounds and skilled
craft maintenance on the ATSU Kirksville campus.
- Prepare and maintain a variety of narrative and statistical
reports, specifications, records and files related to assigned
- Assist in the assignment, coordination, and review of the
activities of architects, engineers, and consultants for
construction and maintenance projects.
- Communicate with other administrators, personnel, and
contractors to coordinate activities and programs, resolve issue
and conflicts and exchange information. Recommend improved methods
and changes as appropriate.
- Assist in the development and preparation of the annual
maintenance and capital construction budgets; analyze and review
budgetary and financial data; control and authorize expenditures in
accordance with established policy.
- Operate a computer and other office equipment as assigned;
operate various equipment and tools used in assigned areas.
Supervise, train, and evaluate personnel; supervise staff training;
prepare evaluation reports; review and discuss staff requirements
and performance with employees.
- Attend and conduct a variety of meetings as assigned; conduct
presentations to groups; represent ATSU with outside organizations
and agencies, including regulatory, local, state, and federal
- Assure a safe environment for students, faculty, and staff by
inspecting and working with the department of safety and security.
Perform periodic inspections of building and grounds to check on
the need for maintenance and repair, building safety, ADA
compliance and conformity with fire regulations; determine need for
repairs and establish work priorities.
- Assist with developing and administering preventive maintenance
program and related records, including preparing detailed
procedures and work instructions, scheduling, monitoring equipment
operations, and entering data into appropriate system.
- Assist in assembling and collecting facilities planning and
operations documents for preservation, including technical manuals,
maintenance schedules, equipment replacement program, vendor files,
maintenance work orders, purchase orders, and others.
- Maintain positive working relationships with the
vendors/contractors, students, the community and various
departments within ATSU.
- Act as ATSU liaison with architects, engineers, contractors,
and vendors; assure compliance with established building codes,
safety laws and regulations, timelines, and standards of quality.
Secure estimates for work to be performed by outside sources; check
to be sure work is properly completed. Review completed contract
work for acceptability.
- Assist the Director with facility oversight of the St. Louis
Clinic. This may require occasional trips to St. Louis, MO.
- Assist with the preparation and administering of budgets for
assigned functions; prepare recommendations and justification
regarding budget request; authorize expenditures according to ATSU
policies and applicable regulations.
- Assist with developing of ATSU’s scheduled maintenance
programs; confer with college facilities managers to develop
project plans and priorities; formulate preventive maintenance
plans to assure proper care of ATSU grounds and facilities.
- Serve on campus and ATSU committees, task forces, and other
work groups as required; maintain positive public relations with
the larger community.
- Assist with developing and implement techniques to improve
departmental policies and procedures, increase efficiencies,
optimize opportunities and maintain state-of-the-art practices;
maintain current knowledge of technological advances in the
- Assume the duties of the Director of Facilities, in the absence
of the Director and as assigned. Receive and respond to emergency
calls affecting facilities operations; assign personnel and
- Assist with maintaining space inventory and confer with the
department directors and deans regarding building and room
- Bachelors degree is engineering, construction management,
architecture, and/or relevant management-type program
- Basic knowledge of electrical and environmental management
processes, utility analysis, and sustainability initiatives.
- Knowledge of skilled trades with ability to write technical and
- Understanding of applicable government regulations.
- Be available to respond to emergency situations 24 hours/7 days
- A driver’s license valid in the state of Missouri.
- A thorough understanding of facility operations and management
- Be able to work well within a clinical and academic
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Follow through
- Pride in workmanship
- Must work well with minimal supervision