University Police Officer
University Police Officer
Founded in 1898, Northeastern is a global research university and the recognized leader in experience-driven lifelong learning. Our world-renowned experiential approach empowers our students, faculty, alumni, and partners to create impact far beyond the confines of discipline, degree, and campus.
Our locations—in Boston; Charlotte, North Carolina; London; Portland, Maine; San Francisco; Seattle; Silicon Valley; Toronto; Vancouver; and the Massachusetts communities of Burlington and Nahant—are nodes in our growing global university system. Through this network, we expand opportunities for flexible, student-centered learning and collaborative, solutions-focused research.
Northeastern's comprehensive array of undergraduate and graduate programs— in a variety of on-campus and online formats—lead to degrees through the doctorate in nine colleges and schools. Among these, we offer more than 195 multi-discipline majors and degrees designed to prepare students for purposeful lives and careers.
About the Opportunity:
The Northeastern University Police Department engages the community through a comprehensive program of police, emergency management, international security, crime prevention, emergency medical, and related public safety services to promote the conditions by which Northeastern University operates as intended throughout the world. The Department operates under the tenants of Procedural Justice and believes in continuous active engagement with members of our community, to prevent crime and increase the quality of life for those we serve.
Watch our recruitment video here
Northeastern University Police Officers:
- Maintain public order and enforce University Regulations and Massachusetts General Laws
- Patrol University buildings and grounds to prevent crime and attend to public safety needs
- Respond to emergency and non-emergency calls for service
- Actively engage with the Northeastern University & local community
- Investigate crimes, suspicious activity, or other incidents
- Identify, apprehend, and participate in subsequent court proceedings of criminal offenders
- Provide First Responder level medical assistance
- Facilitate the movement of motor vehicle and pedestrian traffic
- Provide detail coverage for worksites and university events
- Attend required department training in addition to seeking out supplementary training focused on personal and professional development
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Applicants must be a graduate of a Full-Time MA State Police Academy, Full-Time MA State Police SSPO Academy, or Full-Time MPTC Academy or equivalent
- High School diploma or GED equivalent
- At least 21 years old
- Strong written and oral communication skills with an aptitude for problem solving and customer service
- Appointees must be eligible for appointment as a Special State Police Officer in accordance with M.G.L. ch.22 s. 63
- Massachusetts Class A License to Carry
- Massachusetts Driver's License
- Candidates will be required to pass a comprehensive background check, psychological exam, drug test, and pre-employment medical exam
- Applicants who completed an out-of-state recruit academy must apply for a permanent exemption through the Massachusetts State Police
- Previous Police experience highly preferred
- Bachelor's degree preferred
The NUPD conducts a rolling application process for the University Police Officer position. Each hiring cycle remains active and open until all available positions have been filled
This position requires a panel interview, criminal background check, as well as a drug screening, medical exam and psychological exam. Once initiated, the selection process takes approximately 3 months.
If at any point during the selection process you are notified that you are not moving forward, applicants may reapply in the future.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University's commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.
To apply, visit https://careers.pageuppeople.com/879/cw/en-us/job/503021