Staff Athletic Trainer
This position is an 11 month, full-time appointment. The candidate will be responsible for full-time athletic training duties at Carthage College for Carthage Athletics while working as part of the sports medicine team. Staff includes six licensed athletic trainers, on campus physical therapists, and involved team physicians. The position will provide opportunities to work in a competitive NCAA Division III setting that uses patient-centered care principles, while working as part of a committed health care team providing service, care, and support for our student-athletes and each other.
- Provide Athletic Training services within Carthage Athletics, providing patient centered care to all student-athletes.
- Serve as the primary athletic trainer for men's soccer, men's basketball, and baseball. Sport assignments are subject to change as deemed necessary by the Head Athletic Trainer. Responsibilities include injury and illness evaluation, treatments, rehabilitation, referrals, maintaining timely/accurate medical records, coordinate medical care following physician's plan of care for assigned sports, and other sports as necessary.
- Position provides onsite practice coverage, event coverage, and team travel.
- Position will require night, weekend and holiday coverage.
- Act as the appropriate medical contact, and coordinate medical care for all assigned teams and established student-athlete patients.
- Provide general coverage for the Sports Medicine Center during posted hours.
- Provide appropriate Sports Medicine Center management, including but not limited to proper supply use, inventory, cleaning, and facility maintenance.
- Appropriately report injuries, illnesses, and referrals to the Medical Director and/or Head Athletic Trainer.
- Effectively communicate with program coaches and strength & conditioning staff regarding participation status and limitations of injured and ill student-athletes while complying with HIPAA standards.
- Serve as liaison between the Carthage Athletic Training Department and other medical services partners.
- Perform administrative functions or roles as directed by the Head Athletic Trainer or Medical Director.
- Embrace the roll of a clinical education preceptor in the Carthage College Athletic Training Education Program.
- This position works in a creative and collaborative team environment where change is embraced, innovation is encouraged, and conflict resolution behaviors are appropriate.
- Certified Athletic Trainer by the Board of Certification, in good standing.
- Wisconsin Licensed Athletic Trainer or eligible.
- Master's Degree preferred.
- CPR and AED certified.
- Post-graduate Collegiate setting experience encouraged.
- Experience in providing successful outcomes for post-surgical and non-surgical orthopedic rehabilitation.
- Ability to effectively communicate with student-athletes, athletic trainers, coaches, physicians, administrators, parents and other Allied Health Care professionals working with Carthage College student-athletes.
- Ability to successfully coordinate a multi-faceted plan of care for injured or ill student-athletes as dictated by standard protocols / procedures and physician's orders.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to work within and contribute to a team setting of athletic trainers, coaches, and student-athletes.
Ability to empower leadership. Person must be self-directed. Must abide by department and clinic mission, values, vision statements and specified goals and objectives. Must be able to communicate effectively.Required Skills, Abilities and/or Licensure
- CPR (Required)
- Athletic Trainer (Required)
Founded in 1847, Carthage College combines an environment of reflection and self-discovery with a culture of high expectation, so that our students uncover and ignite their true potential. As a four-year private liberal arts college with roots in the Lutheran tradition, we place a strong emphasis on both moral and intellectual values. Our prime location in Kenosha, Wisconsin, midway between Chicago and Milwaukee, allows students the opportunity to learn in a professional context. Our beautiful campus, an 80-acre arboretum on the shore of Lake Michigan is home to 150 scholars, 2,600 full-time students, and 400 part-time students. Our rich academic experience equips students with foundational knowledge and skills, preparing graduates to be lifelong learners and to lead meaningful, productive lives.
Carthage College is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse community. We welcome applications from a broad spectrum of people, including members of ethnic minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.