Strategic Partnerships Editor (17054)
The Strategic Partnerships Editor serves in a key strategic and support role to WAMU’s newsroom, implementing initiatives to promote our local journalism, leverage external partnerships, and maximize revenue opportunities. This position will be embedded within the regional newsroom and report to the Local News Director. The editor will have a clear understanding of the team’s editorial initiatives and manage both internal and external partnerships with the goal of expanding our reach and help to maximize our revenue opportunities.
The Strategic Partnerships Editor will identify timely opportunities to market and promote our local news content. They will collaborate closely with the Marketing and Engagement Department to execute these initiatives, and to ensure proper branding and messaging is consistent across all platforms. They will also partner with the newsroom’s audience engagement team and WAMU’s Growth Editor to ensure that our journalism is reaching a wider audience.
Working collaboratively with the Engagement Producer and other stakeholders, the individual in this role will develop new partnerships that help expand our audience and grow our presence as a public service organization in traditionally under-served communities.
Additionally, the Strategic Partnerships Editor will work with the Underwriting and Development departments to identify and assist new business development opportunities. They will serve as a liaison to these teams and ensure maximum lead-time for sponsorship sales and donor asks. As needed, the individual may join Underwriting on sales calls and Development on donor calls to share the vision of an editorial initiative. The Strategic Partnerships Editor will also work in conjunction with the Development team to seek grants and other external funding opportunities that spotlight our work and bring in new resources for growth.
The role will require a combination of big picture strategic thinking and detail-oriented project management. The person in this position will serve as a key bridge from the newsroom to other departments at WAMU, ensuring that editorial priorities are communicated and cross-departmental collaboration is optimized. They will also be a creative thinker, developing outside-the-box initiatives to expand our audience, strike new strategic partnerships, and otherwise help advance WAMU as a powerhouse of local journalism in the region.
1. (50% of Time) Promotion: Serve as the Content lead on conceptualizing, planning and/or executing promotional and engagement efforts in conjunction with WAMU’s marketing team. Serve as the editorial partner and liaison to the Marketing, Underwriting, Development and Membership teams at WAMU. Support the editorial production and marketing plans of live events and special programs. Ensure consistent and accurate execution of WAMU’s desired message, brand, and position.
2. (30% of Time) Revenue: Identify and leverage opportunities for new sources of revenue. In collaboration with the Development team, shepherd opportunities that support our journalism though grants, major gifts, fellowships, and other independent funding sources. Communicate editorial initiatives to Underwriting team as early as possible with the goal of securing sponsorship. Help identify new sources of revenue through events and other special projects.
3. (20% Of Time) Partner: In collaboration with the Engagement Producer, identify and develop external partnerships that expand the reach of our journalism, with a focus on broadening our audience in traditionally under-served audiences. Manage special projects that strengthen the WAMU brand.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- 35 hours/week
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- 3-5 years of relevant experience
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- 4-6 years of relevant experienc
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Experience in journalism and a keen understanding of editorial processes.
- Strong writing skills. Experience with writing marketing and communications copy is a plus.
- Experience in project management.
- Familiarity with the local news landscape in the D.C. region.
- Understanding of effective marketing strategies and implementation in a non-profit or media-based environment.
- Familiarity with public relations and experience with promotional uses of new media.
- Experience with live event production and event marketing.
- Proven track record with fundraising and revenue generation for non-profit organizations.
- Proven experience with grant-writing and the grants process.
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful completion of a background check.
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options.
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email email@example.com .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Marketing & Sales Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Communications Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Public Relations & Advertising Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.