Dean of the College of Family and Consumer Sciences
Posting Number F0889P Working Title Dean of the College of Family and Consumer Sciences Department Central HR-HR Search Group About the University of Georgia
The University of Georgia ( UGA ), a land-grant and sea-grant university with statewide commitments and responsibilities, is the state’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education ( https://www.uga.edu/ ). UGA is currently ranked among the top 15 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA was founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly as the first state-chartered University in the country. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,700 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 39,000 students including over 30,000 undergraduates and over 9,000 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 18 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens.
About the College/Unit/Department
The College of Family and Consumer Sciences, sixth largest at UGA in terms of undergraduate enrollment, is a student-centered college that emphasizes holistic student development and has grown rapidly in recent years to a current total enrollment of about 1,700 students. There are approximately 110 total faculty members in the College, where undergraduate and graduate degrees are offered in all areas of family and consumer sciences, as well as collaborative programs with other schools, colleges, centers and institutes at the University. The College provides a comprehensive graduate program, offering masters and doctoral degrees in all four departments with a current enrollment of about 250 graduate students. Administratively, the College is comprised of four academic departments: Financial Planning, Housing and Consumer Economics; Nutritional Sciences; Human Development and Family Science; and Textiles, Merchandising and Interiors as well as the Institute on Human Development and Disability. The College is proud of and benefits from a high degree of diversity in its faculty, students and programs. International opportunities are strongly supported in the College and the University. Programs of outreach and public service, including outstanding Cooperative Extension initiatives, extend the resources of the College and University to the general public and targeted audiences. Faculty in the College manage significant external grants and contracts for research and public service from the NIH, USDA, DOD, NIMH, NIDA, DOE, the CDC and GEFA among others. Additional information about the College of Family and Consumer Sciences is available at https://www.fcs.uga.edu/.
College/Unit/Department website https://www.fcs.uga.edu/ Posting Type External Retirement Plan TRS or ORP Employment Type Employee Benefits Eligibility Benefits Eligible Underutilization Advertised Salary Commensurate with Experience Anticipated Start Date 01/01/2022 Effective End Date (for Limited-Term postings) Job Posting Date 05/17/2021 Job Closing Date Open until filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicant screening will begin immediately. Candidates are encouraged to submit their materials by August 18, 2021; however, screening will continue until the position is filled. The application packet should include a cover letter detailing how the applicant’s credentials and experience meet the needs, responsibilities, and qualifications stated above; a current resume; and contact information for three references (who will not be contacted without further correspondence with the applicant).
To request a descriptive Opportunity Profile for this position, provide a nomination, or seek additional information, please contact Damla Williams, Primary Consultant with the UGA Search Group, at 706-542-7344 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Letters of recommendation or a simple nomination should include the name and contact information for the nominee.
Location of Vacancy Athens Area EEO Statement
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact Central HR (email@example.com).
Classification Title Dean AC FLSA Faculty Rank Professor Contract Type Fiscal (12 mo.) Tenure Status Tenured Minimum Qualifications
Terminal degree appropriate for the discipline
The University of Georgia ( UGA ), the flagship public, a land-grant and sea-grant university of the state of Georgia, seeks an experienced and energetic leader to serve as the next Dean of the College of Family and Consumer Sciences. The Dean serves as the chief administrative and academic officer of the College, reporting to the Senior Vice President and Provost ( https://provost.uga.edu/about/ ). In the context of the land-grant mission of the university, the Dean also serves as Associate Director of Georgia Cooperative Extension and Associate Director of the Georgia Agricultural Experiment Stations. The Dean will provide energetic and visionary leadership as well as principled administrative guidance and advocacy for the tripartite mission of the College in teaching, research, and public service/outreach.
• Earned doctorate degree in a field appropriate to the College of Family and Consumer Sciences.
• Qualify for appointment with tenure at the rank of full professor at the University of Georgia. To be eligible for tenure on appointment, candidates must have been tenured at a prior institution and bring a demonstrably national reputation to UGA .
• A proven record of scholarly achievement and a national and/or international reputation for the candidate’s expertise in a particular specialty area of Family and Consumer Sciences as evidenced by documentation of teaching, research and/or service contributions consistent with appointment as a professor in the College. Please see the College guidelines for more information including the requirements for the rank of Professor: https://provost.uga.edu/policies/appointment-promotion-and-tenure/promotion-tenure-criteria/
• Progressively responsible leadership and administrative experience as evidenced by a background that includes leadership at a management level including, program development and accreditation.
Relevant/Preferred Education, Experience, Licensure, and/or Certification Preferred Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies
• Strong executive leadership with good budgetary skills.
• Ability to manage a diverse college with multiple departments.
• Ability to work in a collaborative and collegial manner with a diverse faculty, staff, and students.
• Ability to be a successful fundraiser, working with foundations and individual donors as well as encouraging externally supported scholarship.
• Ability to demonstrate a commitment to enhancing diversity in all forms and furthering an accessible and inclusive campus environment.
Physical Demands Is this a Position of Trust? Yes Does this position have operation, access, or control of financial resources? Yes Does this position require a P-Card? No Is having a P-Card an essential function of this position? No Is driving a responsibility of this position? No Does this position have direct interaction or care of children under the age of 18 or direct patient care? No Does this position have Security Access (e.g., public safety, IT security, personnel records, patient records, or access to chemicals and medications) Yes Credit and P-Card policy
Be advised a credit check will be required for all positions with financial responsibilities. For additional information about the credit check criteria, visit the UGA Credit Background Check website.
• Providing energetic and visionary leadership as well as principled administrative guidance and advocacy with faculty, staff, students, University of Georgia administrators, and alumni to promote the tripartite land-grant mission of the College in teaching, research, and public service/outreach.
• Working in close collaboration with the associate deans, department heads and directors to lead the instruction, research, public service and Cooperative Extension programs as well as the institutional advancement of the College.
• Communicating the mission and importance of the programs of Family and Consumer Sciences to external audiences so as to enhance, acquire and sustain private and public financial and non-financial support.
• Interacting positively with constituent groups in business and industry, federal and state agencies, volunteer and professional organizations, and foundations whose goals are consistent with the mission of the College.
• Promoting excellence and working effectively with faculty, staff, students, University of Georgia administrators, and alumni to promote the tripartite land-grant mission of the College.
• Strategically planning and analyzing the College operations.
• Representing the College to the University administration.
• Collaborating with other colleges at UGA and providing leadership in guiding, engaging and building partnerships.
Percentage Of Time 100 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
- List of References with Contact Information
- Other Documents #1
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Athens
- Social & Behavioral Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Athens
- Home Economics & Consumer Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Athens
- Human Development & Family Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Athens
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Athens