Open Rank Professor
Employees hired into Administrative and Professional positions posted on or after July 1, 2017, will be governed by and, if employed on July 1, 2018 will move into the new University Human Resources System. For additional information, go to http://greatplace.vcu.edu.
Position Number G50760 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? No Position Type Teaching and Research Faculty Rank Open Working Title Open Rank Professor School/Unit School of Medicine Department Biostatistics Number of Months 12 Tenure Status Non-Tenure Eligible Grant funded position? No
Mission or Goal of Unit
The mission of the Department of Biostatistics is to improve human health through methodological research, graduate education and collaboration with health science researchers on biostatistical methods and applications. Our focus includes designing and helping conduct novel clinical trials for investigating potential cancer therapies. We collaborate with public health research teams on complicated hierarchical, multifaceted health problem. As educators, we aim to train the next generation of biostatisticians, bioinformaticists and data scientists in methodological, collaborative and leadership skills.
Chief purpose of this position in support of above mission or goal
We are seeking candidates for a non-tenure faculty position to teach courses in Clinical Trials Design and Biostatistical Consulting, to provide mentorship to the graduate research assistants in the department and increase the departments visibility in biostatistical research, particularly related to design and analysis of clinical trials, with specialization in any phase of oncology trials, or in closely related areas.
The faculty member shares a deep commitment to effective instruction, creation of innovative courses and mentoring of students in research, outreach and professional development related to the Biostatistics graduate program. They demonstrate leadership in developing techniques designed to meet the needs of diverse learning styles and intellectual interests, especially in the context of interdisciplinary research interests that complement the program. This role will assist with preparation and implementation of training programs. The incumbent will contribute to the teaching mission and will be engaged in training of students and faculty and will deliver lectures, contribute to course development and implementation in the Department of Biostatistics. In addition, the faculty member will mentor capstone projects of master level students and supervise dissertation research.
This position will engage in research and develop interdisciplinary collaborations in support of the core mission. The faculty contributes to VCU’s national reputation through research and scholarship (extramural funding, high quality publications, citations, and national recognition as through honorific awards and committee leadership) and maintains active involvement in appropriate national or international organizations and bodies.
Faculty members will serve on Departmental, College, and/or University committees as necessary, as well as in a professional capacity in their field (e.g., reviewer, conference organizer, etc.)
• Ph.D. in Biostatistics, Statistics or an equivalent terminal degree
• Record of peer-reviewed publications and conference dissemination demonstrating expertise in the faculty area of research
• Possess a commitment to teaching excellence, have the potential for establishing collaborations across the University, as well as develop and lead a multidisciplinary, independent research program and secure external grant funding
• Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU
Applicants at the Assistant Professor level should show evidence of research productivity and the potential to obtain external funding.
Applicants at the Associate Professor level or above should show evidence of a well-developed scholarly/research portfolio with evidence of multi-disciplinary applications and external funding appropriate to complement and expand existing expertise inthe department.
• Postdoctoral research training experience strongly preferred
• Teaching experience at the masters or doctoral level
• Experience with NIH, and/or NSF, DOD or Industry grant applications
• Strong training and research in clinical trials and applications of statistical methods to biomedical sciences
• Expertise in adaptive design in clinical trials as well as Bayesian design
• Proven extramural funding track record
Date Posted 04/15/2021 Open Until Filled Yes Application Deadline Date Proposed Hire Date 08/01/2021 Type of Search National Application Process/Additional Information
Please email questions to:
Le Kang, PhD
Search Committee Chair
As a preeminent national, urban, public research university and academic health center, Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to organizational diversity, equity and inclusion – an environment where all can thrive in their pursuit of excellence.
Applicants are requested to submit a Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (typically between 150-300 words) providing your career aspirations and contributions toward promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Through this statement, you can share how your lived experiences; and past, present, and future academic and professional activities have or will contribute to VCU’s mission of promoting equity and inclusion.
Note: Examples include working with others to further the goals of equity and inclusion; leading in any capacity that tangibly promotes an environment where diversity is welcomed, fostered, and celebrated; creative activity, research and scholarship that promotes equity and parity; teaching and mentoring students, and/or engaging with faculty and/or staff from traditionally underrepresented groups to create a positive and successful organizational experience.
Posted Salary Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/105202 Diversity Statement Information For more information on diversity statements, including guidelines, please click here . Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Diversity Statement (Required for all Faculty)
- Other Document
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Other Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Biology & Life Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond