Clinical Placement Specialist
Clinical Placement Specialist
Main Campus - Boston, MA
The Nursing Department is housed in the College of Natural, Behavioral and Health Sciences (CNBHS). CNBHS is a collegial and supportive community of teachers and scholars within a uniquely multidisciplinary College. Simmons faculty and staff are truly committed to our mission of preparing students to become champions of social justice and leaders in their professions and their communities. This commitment and pride make for a dynamic workplace. Simmons University strives for inclusive excellence in all aspects of an individual's community experience: One of our strategic goals is to become the most inclusive campus in New England. As a University committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, we seek candidates with a demonstrated ability to work with students across a broad range of social and personal identities and perspectives. We particularly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups.
Nursing education at Simmons dates back to 1933. At that time, Simmons implemented a five- year baccalaureate program in nursing and became a charter member of the National League for Nursing. Simmons continues its proud tradition of educating nurses. Today, Simmons Department of Nursing offers a traditional 4 year BSN program, a 16-month accelerated BSN program for students with a prior baccalaureate degree, a 2-year Dix scholars program for adult learners and a 4 + 1 BSN-MSN FNP program, while graduate nursing programs offer paths for a direct-entry MSN, Post Licensure MSN FNP, and doctoral education.
Job Summary: Reporting to the School of Nursing Undergraduate Program Director, the Clinical Placement Specialist will manage the student clinical placement process and contracts with hospitals and other clinical sites for the undergraduate nursing and direct entry pre-licensure nursing programs.
This position requires strong interpersonal skills and judgement to facilitate collaboration and communication among CNBHS faculty, staff, students and other stakeholders. Ability to handle sensitive information when necessary.
The ideal candidate will foster mutual respect, support Simmons University's commitment to diversity, practice and promote teamwork, perform independently, maintain confidentiality, demonstrate professional demeanor and presence, adhere to high standards of personal conduct, exhibit flexibility and adaptability, and maintain and enhance professional/job competency.
- Responsible for the administrative coordination and maintenance
of clinical placements with contracted clinical agencies for
undergraduate nursing students and pre-licensure direct entry
- Communicates with students, clinical faculty and hospital
representatives, to obtain and clarify information to update the
database for student placements using Excel, Sales-Force, Typhon,
and Castle Branch.
- Ensures that immunization records and other required
pre-clinical clearance & credentialing documents for
Undergraduate and pre-licensure direct entry students are in
- Responsible for student hospital onboarding in conjunction with
Clinical Placement Operations Manager.
- Initiates and maintains ongoing contact with clinical agencies
for preceptor placements via telephone, fax voicemail, email, and
- In collaboration with the Clinical Placement Operations Manager
assists students, SON faculty and communicates with outside
clinical agencies (ex: hospitals, community clinics and health care
provider's offices, etc.) to ensure that all facets of the clinical
agency placement process are properly documented and
- Manages clinical placement lists and reports as required by the
Director of Undergraduate Nursing and SON Chair, faculty, and
outside boards and agencies.
- In conjunction with the Director of Undergraduate Nursing and
faculty serve as liaison to the healthcare community explaining
when needed the role of the undergraduate & pre-licensure
nursing student, evaluating appropriateness of clinical sites prior
to student placement, and coordinating periodic campus meetings for
clinical agency representatives/faculty/students as
- Collect and maintain preceptor and adjunct faculty
qualification documentation/forms per MA Board of
- Verify all preceptor & adjunct faculty RN license numbers
are active and unencumbered.
- Coordinate the collection of evaluations of clinical agencies
by faculty/student/agency members.
- Assists the Clinical Placement Operations Manager, Director of
Undergraduate Nursing and faculty in matters related to
undergraduate and pre-licensure direct entry student placement as
needed and participates in meetings to assist with problem-solving
related to the clinical process as requested.
- Cross-training with the Clinical Placement Operations
- Organizes fit testing, flu clinics, voucher project and uniform
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent work experience
Required Technical Skills
- Advanced proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel and
PowerPoint) and Adobe Suites;
- Experience with Workday, Sales-Force, Typhon & Castle
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Two to three years of professional experience preferred in an
administrative support position with a focus on customer service
(prior experience in higher education preferred);
- Minimum one year of professional experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills;
- Ability to take initiative and ownership of
- Proven ability to perform duties with a high level of
professionalism, flexibility; discretion, judgment, diplomacy and
- Problem Assessment and Problem Solving
- Attention to Detail and Accuracy
- Written and Verbal Communication
- Time Management
- Personal Effectiveness/Credibility
- Customer Service Orientation
This is a campus-based 40 hour a week position. Occasional evening, weekend and holiday work may be required as job duties demand.
Required Application Materials:
- Cover Letter
Instructions to Applicants: Please upload all applicable application materials (e.g. resume/cv, cover letter, writing sample, teaching philosophy, etc.) in the "Resume/CV" box on page 2 ("My Experience") of this application. Documents can be uploaded individually or as a combined document (e.g. PDF).
Simmons University is committed to inclusive excellence in all aspects of an individual's community experience. As a university committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, Simmons encourages applications from all under-represented groups. Simmons is committed to creating, developing, promoting, and enhancing inclusive hiring practices-at all levels, for all positions-ensuring diverse talent pools and the delivery of a consistent positive candidate experience. Simmons is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to continuing to develop a more diverse faculty, staff, student body, and curriculum.
To apply, visit https://simmons.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Simmons-Careers/job/Main-Campus---Boston-MA/Clinical-Placement-Specialist_R07540-1
Located in Boston’s historic Fenway area, Simmons College is a small, private, non-sectarian College which has educated students for enriching careers and purposeful lives since 1899. Working at Simmons means joining a collaborative, diverse and mission-driven community of educators and professionals.
We prepare students to be leaders for themselves, their communities and the world. Our faculty and staff members lead by example - sharing a commitment to excellence and putting the students first.