Instructor, Kinesiology/Strength and Conditioning Coach
The College of Arts and Sciences at Seattle University invites applications for a one year, renewable full-time non-tenure track Instructor position with the Kinesiology Department, with shared responsibilities within the Athletics Department. This unique position affords the opportunity to merge teaching, research, and clinical experience as an NCAA Division I Strength and Conditioning Coach. Successful applicants will begin September 1, 2021.
The Kinesiology Department is a small, interdisciplinary group providing BS and MS degrees in Kinesiology. The preferred candidate will be responsible for teaching 4 courses (1-2 courses per quarter) across undergraduate and graduate curricula in varying sub-disciplines of kinesiology, including human anatomy and physiology, exercise programming, and strength and conditioning. The candidate will contribute to the College of Arts and Sciences’ commitment to diversity and inclusion, and incorporate their experience with inclusive pedagogical practices into the classroom. Some (undergraduate, graduate) student research supervision may be available, where applicable.
Seattle University sponsors 20 intercollegiate sports at the NCAA Division I level, which are primarily members of the Western Athletic Conference (women’s rowing competes as Division I independent). The preferred candidate will be responsible for designing, implementing and teaching strength and conditioning training programs for 3-4 intercollegiate sport teams. The candidate will create a safe and motivational learning environment by providing instructional and safety supervision of team and individual workouts, encouraging proper biomechanical movement patterns based sport specificity, and collaborating with sports medicine staff to optimally support students and teams.
Required qualifications include:
- A terminal degree in kinesiology, exercise science, or related field;
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist certification by the National Strength and Conditioning Association;
- Research interest, experience, and/or effective instruction is preferred in one of the following areas: strength & conditioning, human performance, data science, human anatomy and physiology, exercise programming, lifestyle/behavioral medicine (physical activity, nutrition, sleep);
- Workplace collegiality;
- Previous instruction (in the classroom or sport performance) experience is strongly preferred;
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity and the university’s mission, vision, and values.
Founded in 1891, Seattle University is a Jesuit Catholic university located on a beautiful campus of more than 50 acres in the dynamic heart of Seattle. Our diverse and driven population is made up of more than 7,200 students enrolled in undergraduate and graduate programs within eight schools and colleges. Seattle University is an equal opportunity employer.
In support of its pursuit of academic and scholarly excellence, Seattle University is committed to creating a diverse community of students, faculty and staff that is dedicated to the fundamental principles of equal opportunity and treatment in education and employment regardless of age, color, disability, gender identity, national origin, political ideology, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status. The university encourages applications from, and nominations of, individuals who will further enrich the diversity of our educational community.
Submit applications through https://www.seattleu.edu/careers/ including a cover letter, CV, and contact information for a minimum of 3 references. The cover letter should be a maximum of 2 pages and include examples of how your teaching and previous coaching experience has/will align with the mission and values of Seattle University. Please be sure to identify in which sub-discipline you have previous teaching or research experience. Applications will close June 20, 2021. Inquiries concerning the position may be emailed to Professor Sarah Shultz, Chair, Kinesiology Department, firstname.lastname@example.org.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Seattle
- Health & Medicine Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Seattle
- Kinesiology, Exercise Physiology & Physical Education Non-Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Seattle