Student Account Specialist
Under the general supervision of the University Bursar with work lead direction from the Lead Student Account Specialist, the Student Account Specialist is responsible for the collection of debts owed to the university by students, former students, vendors, or outside agencies in the Bursar’s Office. Additional responsibilities include assisting students in resolving past due balances so students can register for future terms, providing excellent customer service, and assisting with enrollment cancellation. Collects on past due loans and assists with loan prom notes, loan advances, and monthly loan reports.
- Resolve delinquent Perkins Loans, Kuhlman Loans, Dream Loans and aged receivables
- Perform enrollment cancellation
- Refer aged receivables and loans to third party collection agencies
- Refer uncollectible accounts either for write-off or to the Department of Education
- Send past due messages to students
- Communicate with students, external organizations, and other outside vendors to resolve delinquent debts
- Review emergency loan applications
- Performs collection activities with a focus on customer needs
- Provides quality standards for services
- Strives to exceed the customer’s expectations
- Reconcile the collection agency statements for Perkins, Dream and Kuhlman Loans
- Monitor new prom notes and loan advances to loan servicer
- Create a monthly collection management report
- Assist with updating collection procedures
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of methods, procedures and practices; grammar, business writing, punctuation and spelling
- Ability to compose and appropriately format correspondence and reports
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail-oriented environment
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with employees and external agencies
- Ability to quickly learn and apply a variety of state, federal, CSU, and SJSU policies and procedures
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities, organize and plan work and projects
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills
- Ability to cope with stress in an appropriate manner
- Must be dependable and available to work overtime, possibly on Saturdays, during registration and peak periods
- Equivalent to three years of increasingly responsible financial record-keep experience, including two years in collections, lending or a related area or any combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience with state, federal, CSU, and SJSU policies and procedures
- Strong analytical, critical-thinking and problem-solving skills
- Experience in higher education
Classification: Collections Representative II
Anticipated Hiring Range: $3,500/month - $3,800/month
Salary Range: $3,204/month - $5,593/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: May 14, 2021 through June 1, 2021 . This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: May 14, 2021 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Librarians & Library Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Other Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose