Financial Management and Planning Analyst
Reporting to the Associate Vice President of Budget Planning and Administration and working closely with other Budget and Financial Management staff, the Financial Management and Planning Analyst performs technical budget analysis work required to administer SJSU's various budget programs and funds in the department of Budget and Financial Management. The incumbent in this position is assigned duties as a combination of cabinet-level customer service points of contact, as well as financial management and oversight of university-wide programs. The Financial Management & Planning Analyst provides consultative budget and financial management guidance to departmental and divisional contacts and develops recommendations on budgetary and related fiscal affairs of those assigned areas. The incumbent reviews and creates financial transactions (e.g. year-end closing entries, budget journals, actuals journals) in accordance with accounting, CSU, and campus-level guidelines, policies and practices. The Financial Management and Planning Analyst analyzes and evaluates financial information and resources available, performs financial modeling, and conducts financial reconciliations, which may result in the preparation of financial reports, communications, or recommendations of the appropriate course of action. The incumbent documents and maintains business processes, standards and procedures and monitors compliance for assigned areas.
- Analyze and process budget transfers, journal uploads, direct pay vouchers, and other needed transactions such as cash posting orders (CPOs) and allocation orders (AOs)
- Develop and run standard and ad-hoc financial reports using the Finance Data Warehouse and CFS
- Process budget allocations (e.g., compensation and benefits monthly allocations, roll forwards, etc.)
- Assist higher level budget analysts and management with position control, labor cost distribution and budgetary control functions
- Support the Associate Vice President in the management of commitments by drafting commitment memos, allocating funds to units, monitoring and tracking of commitment balances
- Review submitted changes to the Chart of Accounts and requests for Trust Fund Agreements
- Gather data and conduct studies on various issues arising in connection with financial administration, identify anomalies and propose actions to be taken to resolve issues
- Prepare reports and correspondence for higher level review
- Review and prepare fiscal year forecasts and reconciliations
- Conduct extensive financial data compilation, querying and drilling on large volumes of financial data; and use integrated financial systems and/or other types of records management systems
- Proactively provide financial guidance and support to individuals and campus business units, coordinating with higher level staff and other supporting groups as necessary.
- Respond to ad hoc questions in a timely and constructive manner
- Troubleshoot problems with financial systems and reporting tools
- Coordinate reporting activities with other finance units including year-end closing process
- Cultivate and maintain positive and productive working relationships across the campus, and broader CSU and state entities
- Document and maintain business processes, standards and procedures
- Provide initial troubleshooting of financial systems problems
- Participate in the design and installation of financial systems upgrades and required testing and verification of results
- Support and prepare presentations; occasionally support and deliver trainings/workshops
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- General knowledge of financial, budgetary and accounting principles and practices
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of public finance, administrative, personnel fiscal management and cash-flow management
- Knowledge of research techniques and statistical principles and procedures
- Advanced proficiency with current word processing and spreadsheet software programs, web browsers, query tools, integrated financial systems and/or other types of record management systems
- Excellent customer service and public relation skills
- Familiarity with the principles of position control and budgetary alignment
- Ability to define problem areas, collect data, perform preliminary analyses and make appropriate recommendations
- Ability to write clear and concise analytical comments
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Equivalent to a bachelor’s degree with a major in accounting, business administration, finance or a closely related field OR a combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities
- Two years of progressively responsible professional experience in analyzing data including one year involving duties such as preparation, justification and analysis or the control and administration of a budget or budgetary process
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance
- Two years of experience in a public agency or academic/educational institution
- Experience in budgeting with position control/management
Classification: Budget Analyst
Anticipated Hiring Range: $4,480/month - $5,100/month
Salary Range: $3,832/month - $7,394/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: May 14, 2021 through June 1, 2021 . This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: May 14, 2021 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Accounting & Finance Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Business Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose