Medical Assistant I
Baylor Medicine Infectious Diseases in Houston, Texas, offers outpatient consultative services in all aspects of infectious diseases. Our specialists diagnose and treat the full range of infections. We are seeking a Medical Assistant who possesses general knowledge of medical assisting work, will perform patient care responsibilities and provide clerical/administrative support in a clinical setting.
- Performs routine patient care responsibilities such as taking vital signs, venipuncture (blood draws), collect specimens, EKGs/ECGs, and laboratory Point of Care Testing.
- Collects patient history, performs medication reconciliation and enters information in EPIC.
- Notes the primary complaint/reason for patient’s visit.
- Sets up instruments and equipment for Physician.
- Assists with procedures as needed.
- Administers medication under direction of a supervising Physician.
- Instructs Patients on general care and medicine procedures.
- Maintains patient and service rooms in a neat and orderly condition.
- Schedules patient tests, procedures, and appointments.
- Conduct patient outreach phone calls and post-visit follow-ups.
- Responds to routine patient phone calls and My Chart messages and route to RN, ACP or MD as needed.
- Performs clerical/administrative responsibilities such as filing and/or scanning patient medical records, obtain lab/x-ray reports, hospital notes, and referral information.
- Take inventory of clinic supplies and order supplies as needed.
- Sorts and distributes clinic mail and medical records to the appropriate clinic personnel.
- High school diploma or GED and completion of an approved Medical Assistant Training program through an accredited institution.
- Current certification as a Medical Assistant through an accredited professional organization (AAMA, AMT, ARMA, NCCT, NAHP, NHA, NAHP, AMCA, or NRMA). New employees who are not currently certified, must obtain certification within six months of employment.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.