391 Country Club Road
Wylie, Texas, 75098
We are searching for an experienced Grounds Keeper .
Supervise temporary workers in maintaining campus grounds and perform other duties as required by the Grounds District Manager, or Grounds Foreman.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead and train temporary workers in mowing, edging, and trimming techniques of turf grass, in a safe manner. Trim trees, when required, using chain saws, pole saws, and lopping shears.
- Perform mowing, edging and weed pulling.
- Perform grounds/entry and parking lot clean-up, using equipment such as: 2 and 4 cycle (gasoline) mowers, edgers, blowers, vacuums, hand tools, etc.
- Perform assigned responsibilities, duties and tasks according to established practices and procedures with minimal supervision with assigned time-frame.
- Maintain restraint and keep calm when faced emotional or angry individuals.
- Drive a light truck.
- Maintain daily preventive maintenance of equipment to ensure equipment's safe and efficient operation.
- Follow daily direction of specific seasonal tasks and procedures; i.e.: minor irrigation system repair, preventive maintenance of hand tools, aerating, tree mulching, fertilization, bed cultivation, seasonal flower rotations, jogging trail maintenance, and trim extended uncultivated areas.
- Perform pesticide applications under supervision.
- Construct new ornamental beds, and renovate old beds on the instructions of the Grounds Supervisor. Maintain proper composting of organic material for bed preparation.
- Work flexible hours and overtime as required based on seasonal needs.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Perform all duties and maintain all standards in accordance with college policies, procedures and Core Values.
High School Diploma and at least two (2) years of experience required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of safety measures and protocols
- Knowledge of minor irrigation repair
- Knowledge of the Grounds Department standards and guidelines
- Basic knowledge of plants and watering techniques
- Knowledge of shut-off valve locations in the event of a broken main line
- Knowledge of manual operation of system
- Knowledge of native, drought tolerant ornamental grasses and plants, ie. their water requirements, growth patterns, nutrient requirements, etc.
- Knowledge of composting techniques
- Communication skills
- Organizational skills
- Time management skills
- Skill in applying mulch to proper depth
- Skill in driving a tractor
- Ability to use power equipment
- Ability to repair equipment
- Ability to trim trees
- Ability to drive a tractor, and use related implements
- Ability to follow directions
- Ability to apply pesticides and fertilizer
- Ability to make decisions
- Ability to lead and motivate workers
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
Heavy Work - Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly having to move objects. Positions in this class typically include talking, hearing, seeing, grasping, standing, walking and repetitive motions, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and reaching, climbing and balancing, plus pushing, pulling and lifting. Incumbents may be subjected to moving mechanical parts, odors, dusts, poor ventilation, chemicals, oils, extreme temperatures, inadequate lighting and intense noises. Frequent exposure to unpleasant environmental conditions and/or hazards. Majority of work performed outside or with exposure to risk. Frequent physical effort required.
***This is a Security Sensitive position. Therefore candidates will be subject to a criminal background check.***
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of the positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Fair Labor Standards Act (exempt/non-exempt) is designated by position. The employer actively supports Americans with Disabilities Act and will consider reasonable accommodations.
Employment Type: Full-time Staff
Compensation Type: Annual
Compensation Range: $28,807.00 - 33,128.00
For any employment questions, please contact HR at (972) 985-3783 or email@example.com .
Collin College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.