Assistant Debate Coach
MSU Internal Job Postings Recent JobsDetails - Specialist - Curriculum Dev-Continuing Position Summary
The Michigan State University Debate Program, a unit within the Honors College, invites applications for the position of Assistant Debate Coach. This is an Academic Specialist -Curriculum Development and Outreach position with a 12-month appointment reporting to the Director of the Debate Program. This position requires the ability to work on-site/on-campus on a regular and ongoing basis as needed by Debate Program operations. Work hours to be arranged including weekends and evenings.
The Assistant Debate Coach is responsible for assisting in the preparation and coaching of the debate team including organizing research assignments for the students; researching and preparing debate information for the Debate Team and Spartan Debate Institute (SDI); maintaining debate files; overseeing practice debates and speeches; supervising travel to/from and student competition in tournaments; regularly attending debate competitions and fulfilling judging obligations, note that this position requires travel to a minimum of four tournaments per semester. With respect to the Spartan Debate Institute, this position is responsible for pre-program preparation of research and debate materials, participating in all required, recommended and necessary trainings before, during and after the camp, as well as teaching responsibilities for the duration of the camp. Responsibilities also include assisting with public events and other initiatives of the Debate Program as directed.
Coaching – Competitive Debate Team [East Lansing based activities]
• Participate in preparation of and coaching of the debate team including organizing research assignments for the students, researching and preparing debate information, maintaining debate files, and overseeing practice debates and speeches.
Travel and Coaching – Competitive Debate Team
• Regularly attend interscholastic competitions, offer on-the ground advice related to argumentation strategy, and fulfill associated judging obligations.
• Supervise travel to/from and student competition in tournaments; requires travel to a minimum of four tournaments per semester.
Spartan Debate Institute (SDI), Public Events and Outreach
• Participate in the Spartan Debate Institute including pre-program preparation of research and debate materials, all required, recommended and necessary training, and all pre-camp training sessions.
• Serve as an instructor at the Spartan Debate Institute.
• Serve as an instructor for outreach, public/community service, webinar, and other events as directed.
• Produce and collect original research for the Spartan Debate Institute.Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.Required Degree
- Bachelors degree
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, verbal/written presentation and computer skills
- One to three years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience, including competing in elimination rounds of college policy debate tournaments, coaching competitive policy debate, or conducting in-depth debate research and use of database software; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
In addition to the required experience and education, experience in coaching policy debate teams at the national level including being the primary coach/researcher, being recognized as a top judge in the debate community and assisting with administration of a major debate program; familiarity with Lexis-Nexis and other electronic databases.Required Application Materials
- Cover letter
- contact information for three (3) professional references. Include name, position, phone, and email address and U.S. mailing address.