Assistant Director, Inclusive Leadership & Intercultural Engagement - Student Life
The Division of Student Life at West Virginia University is seeking applications for a Assistant Director, Inclusive Leadership & Intercultural Engagement. Under the direction of the Director, Student Engagement and Leadership, the Assistant Director, Inclusive Leadership & Intercultural Engagement, provides program development, support, and facilitation to the functional areas of, but not limited to; student involvement, student leadership development, and student programs. The assistant director will focus on the development, implementation, assessment of student leadership development programs, and support of intercultural engagement initiatives.
Student Engagement and Leadership works to create an inclusive and vibrant community that serves as an outlet for every student to get connected to all potential involvement and engagement opportunities at West Virginia University. This area provides holistic student learning and development through student-lead and initiated programs and events; support of student organizations through resources, education, and leadership training; and advising, empowering, and advocating for student needs.
Student Leadership Development
Leadership Development, as a unit within Student Engagement and Leadership, seeks to empower students to become everyday leaders by providing engaging leadership development opportunities through programs, retreats, and experiential learning. These students will develop lifelong leadership skills that can be utilized within diverse educational, social, and business settings. The co-curricular learning experiences will develop visionary, goal-driven, and action-oriented students that will influence the campus socially and culturally.
The Assistant Director will focus on the development, implementation, and assessment of programs within three functional areas: Intercultural and Educational Programs, Student Support and Engagement, and Identity Development.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Create and support the strategic plan and vision for the Leadership Development unit, in conjunction with the director.
- Assist the director with budgeting, long/short term planning and objectives for all student leadership development initiatives.
- Direct supervision of two (2) graduate assistants and student staff for Leadership Development & Intercultural Engagement.
- Responsible for conceptualization, implementation, and execution of all leadership development unit programs and initiatives.
- Provide support and continuous improvement efforts for all Leadership Development unit programs (Freshman Leadership Program, Certified Student Leadership Program, Student Organization Leadership Development Workshop Series, Women’s Leadership Development Program, Multicultural Leadership Conference, etc.).
- Responsible for development and maintenance of the Leadership Development unit website.
- Collaborate with numerous offices across campus to design and implement new, or enhance existing programs, events, and other activities to engage students.
- Develop ideas for marketing and promotions for programs and services.
- Develop assessment tools to evaluate student development within core competencies and learning outcomes.
- Inform and educate students on University policies and procedures.
- Serve on campus-wide committees on behalf of Student Engagement and Leadership.
- Support and assist with all department initiatives such as Student Involvement events, Homecoming, The LOT, Welcome Week, etc.
- Support and develop programs for WVU’s Project 168 and the out-of-classroom experience as it relates to Leadership Development and Student Engagement and Leadership.
- Provides prudent budgeting and fund management; implements
national best practices grounded in student development theory;
advocates on behalf of student leaders and organizations; and
through role modeling demonstrates successful strategies for
leading a mission driven, collaborative unit.
Intercultural, Educational, & Social
- Provide program support and coordination of diversity initiatives within orientation (New Student Orientation, RISE Program, Pre-Orientation, Welcome Week, Black Experience, etc.).
- Assist with the coordination of the International Street Festival sponsored by International Students & Scholar Services.
- Responsible for coordination of Cultural Heritage Months Calendars.
Student Engagement & Support
- Provide support and assistance with advisor appointments for multicultural student organizations at WVU, such as for Black Student Union, NAACP, Culturas, Muslim Student Association, Chinese Scholars, etc.
- Provide training and resources for all advisors of multicultural student organizations.
- Create, develop, and implement a multicultural student organization grant funding program.
- Provide program coordination and support for the M-Power.
- Create and implement programs and strategies that foster education of identity development.
- Create partnerships with campus-wide units or department to support programs centered around identity development and exploration.
Applicants who apply on or before May 28, 2021 will recieve first consideration.
- Master’s degree required.
- Progressive experience in higher education leadership, student affairs, or related field.
- Documented student leadership development experience, program development, project management, and superior relationship-building skills are required.
- A track record of success working effectively with diverse populations and organizations; a student-centered philosophy and approach to work; evidence of strong budget planning and fiscal management; and the facility to collaborate broadly and innovate creative programs that address strategic priorities.
- Minimum three (3) ears' experience in the following areas:
- Knowledge and experience with student leadership development programs and initiatives.
- Student leadership program development.
- Student Involvement and Student Organization program support.
- Learning outcomes driven and competency-based student development experience.
- Human and fiscal resource management experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively through multiple modes: e-mail, telephone, face-to-face, and online conferencing.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae.
- Letter of Interest.
- Three (3) Professional references
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley — the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu. View current career opportunities at careers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Morgantown
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Morgantown
- Education Administration & Leadership Not specified Full Time jobs in Morgantown
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Morgantown
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Morgantown