Evening Access Services Assistant – Library Assistant 3
Evening Access Services Assistant – Library Assistant 3
The Evening Access Services Assistant is part of the Health Science Center Library Access Services department which provides the most visible and noticeable services in the library. Staff in Access Services have substantial contact with library users and perform behind-the-scenes tasks that impact the user’s ability to successfully access library materials. These employees have extensive interaction with University staff, UF Health staff and the general public on a daily basis. This position provides a high level of service at the one-stop Information Desk where patrons check out and return materials such as books, journals, lockers, and iPads. All service desk functions require accuracy and involve a high degree of attention to detail. Access Services staff provide basic reference services to patrons in person and over the phone. This position is the lead worker in the absence of the Evening/Sunday Supervisor.
The library encourages staff participation in reaching management decisions and consequently the Fiscal Assistant will serve on various committees and teams. To support all students and faculty, and foster excellence in a diverse and collaborative society, the Libraries are actively seeking candidates who bring culturally-rich lived experiences to work with individuals of diverse backgrounds, experiences, races, ethnicities, genders, sexual orientation, and perspectives.
Access Services – Circulation/Information Desk- General Operation
- Maintains staff presence at the Information Desk- Staffs the desk daily, up to 25 hours total per week Sunday – Thursday during the evening hours. Specific desk hours may vary, depending on staffing and desk coverage. Serves as circulation supervisor during assigned desk shifts.
- Actively participates in training of student workers at the Information Desk.
- Occasionally staffs the 2nd floor monitoring desk, depending on staffing and desk coverage.
- Performs normal circulation desk operations: Charges in/out library materials, study rooms, lockers, iPads, etc. Retrieves books from library book returns. Provides assistance to patrons with locating materials online and on the shelves, course reserves; performs online renewals, recall, hold and retrieval requests in Aleph. Verifies University affiliation for faculty, courtesy faculty, students and staff using PeopleSoft. Creates, updates, and activates library patron records as needed. Creates and renews temporary Gatorlink accounts needed for in-house computer access.
- Performs a search of missing library materials based on patrons’ search requests, including search the library catalog and ALEPH, check the shelves, update the records, and maintain correspondence with the patrons regarding the status of their search requests.
- Provides assistance to patrons with use of public computers, printers, and scanners.
- Submits help-desk tickets using the Libraries’ Grover Ticket System and Academic Technology’s Help Request system, requesting assistance with equipment, IT services, permissions, hardware, facilities, purchasing, etc.
- Receives and processes problem reports/fine disputes. Duties involve researching each situation thoroughly, gathering all pertinent information, working with Head of Access Services to determine resolution, communicating resolution to library patron.
- Contributes to the documentation and formulation of Access Services departmental policies and procedures.
- Provides a high level of service to library patrons at the Information Desk. This duty requires knowledge of web resources and the libraries' collections and databases.
- Staffs the Ask-A-Librarian chat service.
- Answers directional and basic reference questions. Provides assistance to patrons in person and on the phone to remotely access the library’s databases via Proxy or VPN.
- Provides assistance to faculty researchers, staff and students to access resources and locate materials. Guides patrons to useful tools (LibGuides, SuperSearch and ref email forms, handouts/tutorials) on the library’s website. Performs UF catalog searches to determine library holdings, call # and current availability of items. Performs basic/simple keyword searches in library databases, e.g., PubMed and CINAHL.
- Instructs patrons on using the UF catalog, demonstrating how to limit searches in catalog and databases to obtain best search results possible, and to select and output (email, save, print) selected citations.
- Summarizes and refers “beyond-basic” queries and route requests for more advanced types of searches/information to librarians as appropriate.
- Serves as Lead worker in the absence of the Evening/Sunday supervisor.
- Occasionally in charge of opening the library on Sundays.
- Provides assistance with closing the library with other evening shift workers. This involves ensuring that all furniture is neat and tidy, and tables are cleaned.
- Performs scheduled security walks in conjunction with other evening shift workers. Monitors building security for patrons and staff – consulting closely with the other evening shift workers - contacts University Police when necessary.
- Secures emergency exit doors. Reports problems and emergencies to University Police and Library Administration.
- As needed, performs the function of reviewing and approving time worked for student workers in the PeopleSoft system.
- Reviews and processes Alma reports. Resolves problems noted in Alma problem reports
- Utilizes PeopleSoft Billing system to post charges, make adjustments to charges, and/or issue credits for overdue and/or lost materials to patron accounts; activates and removes blocks on patron accounts as necessary
- Works closely with supervisor in fines and billing matters, ensuring segregation of duties in all patron-related financial transactions
- Maintains all records and files for all information pertaining to library fines and fees on patron accounts
- Utilizes Enterprise Reporting to retrieve reports, such as monthly accounts receivables, as needed
- Instructs and interprets fines for students re: student financial center in PeopleSoft and Alma and trains library staff on billing procedure
- With the Circulation Coordinator writes, interprets, and applies policies and procedures for the billing/fines activities
Hard Copy Reserves
- Processes all requests for hard copy reserves, which are typically submitted prior to the beginning of each semester, as well as during the course of the semester
- Provides ARES course reserve assistance and instruction to UF faculty, staff, students and library staff on how to use the course reserves system
- Specific duties vary, but typically involve creating ARES accounts for new faculty users, adding courses, creating item records, updating existing or creating new Aleph bibliographic, holding and item records as appropriate for library owned copies and instructors’ personal copies
- Serves as the HSCL point of contact for all situations/questions/issues with hard-copy reserves, communicating with HSC instructors as needed
- Interprets, communicates and applies departmental course reserves policies and procedures to patrons
- Works with the UF Libraries’ Course Reserves coordinator for obtaining books not owned by the UF Libraries
- Maintains and shelf reads the HSCL Reserves collection periodically
- Picks up, sorts and shelves all types of library materials, including books, journals and AV materials.
- Performs shelf-reading books in the stacks.
- Participates in library collection shift projects as needed which could involve moving library materials (books, bound journals, and other items that weigh between 1-25 lbs.) from one floor to another, using book trucks that may weigh up to 450 pounds when loaded. Occasionally may need to perform minor shifts to make room for library materials, which could involve moving materials from one shelf to another.
- Reviews call number labeling of new monograph acquisitions to assure accuracy before shelving.
- Identifies items needing repair or correction of records in Aleph and UF catalog: complete paperwork for processing in Content Management.
- Reprints and replaces spine labels on library materials as needed
Policies and Procedures
- Communicates Library policies and procedures to patrons.
- Interprets and applies circulation and reserve policies and procedures.
- Writes or updates documentation for Access Services Unit manual.
- Participates in special projects.
- Serves on Department, Library and University committees, as appointed.
- Participates in staff development opportunities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum hourly rate at $15.77; Actual rate will reflect experience and credentials
High School diploma or equivalent and four years of library or related clerical/customer service experience; or a bachelor’s degree and one year of library or related clerical/customer service experience.
- Commitment to contributing to a respectful and caring community for all, including individuals of diverse backgrounds, experiences, races, ethnicities, gender, sexual orientation, and perspectives
- Ability to interact pleasantly and effectively with the public in a sometimes-stressful public services situation (strong communication and interpersonal skills, telephone skills, etc.)
- Ability to work and interact with library co-workers in a professional manner
- Dependability and punctuality are essential because this position is one of only two full time staff positions that cover the Sunday and evening hours in the HSC Library, along with a number of student workers.
- Ability to support, understand and respond effectively to a large and diverse user population
- Ability to exercise good judgment in adapting established policies and to refer problems to higher supervision when appropriate
- Ability to make decisions and handle unexpected and/or emergency situations
- Ability to work independently and to plan, organize, and coordinate work assignments
- Ability to train and supervise student workers effectively
- Ability to use a personal computer (keyboard skills), experience with Microsoft Word and Outlook
- Knowledge of library operations based on previous work experience extremely helpful
- Knowledge and ability to work in the Alma Integrated Library System
- Knowledge and ability to navigate effectively within the Libraries online public access catalog (OPAC)
- Knowledge and ability to utilize the University’s management system(PeopleSoft) for Payroll and other applications as necessary
- Knowledge of copyright law/fair use.
- Knowledge of all applicable library, circulation and reference policies and procedures
- Ability to monitor, report and address problems with security gates, computer/audiovisual/telephone equipment, and other electronic equipment used in the Health Science Center Library (Gainesville)
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
To apply, submit
- a cover letter detailing your interest in and qualifications for this position
- your current resume or CV
- a list of three references including their contact information (telephone number and email address)
Apply by May 27, 2021, applications reviewed as received. Submit all application materials through the Jobs at UF online application system. Failure to submit the required documents may result in the application not being considered. If you have any questions or concerns about this process please contact Tina Marie Litchfield, George A. Smathers Libraries Human Resources Office, at firstname.lastname@example.org .
This position is eligible for veteran’s preference. If you are claiming veteran’s preference, please upload a copy of your DD 214 Member Copy 4 with your application for consideration. See our Veteran's Preference Page for more specific information.
Health Assessment Required: Yes
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Flamingo Lodge
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Flamingo Lodge
- Library & Information Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Flamingo Lodge
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Flamingo Lodge
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Flamingo Lodge