Senior Manager of Payroll Operations
About Oakton Community College :
For 50 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Paid winter break
FRIDAYS OFF during the summer
Basic Function and Responsibility:
The Senior Manager of Payroll Operations is responsible for payroll, payroll tax, fringe benefit cost analysis, and all other payroll related functions of the College and ensures applicable laws, regulations, policies, and procedures are followed. Work is performed with independence in decision making within established federal, state and College guidelines, policies, rules, and regulations. The Senior Manager keeps payroll practices up to date and ensures staff development.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads the payroll function by ensuring college policy and
government regulations are met, promoting exceptional customer
service, maintaining modern practices and technology, and managing
- Creates and distributes College-wide communications with
updates regarding laws, regulations and impacts on employee
compensation as well as communications with regulatory bodies such
as the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and State Universities
Retirement System (SURS), the College's pension program.
- Performs responsible managerial work in directing the
activities of payroll employees involved in a variety of payroll
- Thoroughly understand all collective bargaining unit contracts
and stay current on each contract to make changes to payroll as
needed based on changes in such contracts.
- Responsible for development, modernization, maintenance, and
compliance of payroll policies and procedures.
- Identifies systemic problems with the payroll functions and
develops appropriate responses.
- Coordinates implementation of Payroll Banner modules and other
Banner functionalities to improve payroll processes. Ellucian
Banner is the College's financial system.
- Researches payroll-related issues, analyzes alternatives,
recommends policy, and implements effective solutions efficiently
- Work cross-functionally with other departments including Human
Resources department for new hire processes, terminations, pay
changes, and leaves of absence, and work with the Information
Technology department to implement procedures to reduce identity
theft, fraud and cybersecurity breaches related to
- Act as the College's expert for the Banner Payroll System and
lead cross functional teams to identify and test business processes
and workflow within the Banner system. Develop employee
communication, training materials and web/portal
- Cultivate and maintain excellent customer service for internal
and external customers in the College Community; responding to
inquiries timely and accurately.
- Participate in professional development training to stay up to
date in the payroll field.
- Perform other duties job related as assigned.
Qualifications and Working Conditions:
- Bachelor's degree required in Business, Accounting, or related
field or an equivalent combination of education and experience from
which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired is
required. Professional payroll or financial certification
- Five years payroll processing experience as a lead for an
organizational headcount 500+ is required. Familiarity with
Ellucian Banner Payroll or another similar Payroll ERP is
- A high level of interpersonal and communication skills are
required. Must be able to regularly explain policies, write and
edit reports and coordinate the work of others.
- Requires the ability to mentally attend to and visually
concentrate on a substantial amount of detail work.
- Intermediate word processing and advanced spreadsheet
application skills are required intermediate competencies in the
use of personal computer software including database, macros, and
formula authoring skills are preferable.
- General office work environment. Little or no exposure if any to adverse working conditions.
Administrative supervision is received from the Controller.
Functional supervision is exercised payroll staff employees, and any part-time staff, consultants and student employees.
HOURS: Monday - Friday 8:15 am - 5:00 pm
SALARY: $70,399 Starting salary may change due to the completion of staff negotiations.
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application. One (1) of the references must be your most recent, direct supervisor.
Oakton is accessible by public transportation.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are required.
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Des Plaines
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Des Plaines
- Financial Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Des Plaines
- Auxiliary Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Des Plaines
- Human Resources Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Des Plaines