Department Head and Tenured Associate or Full Professor of Education
Department Head and Tenured Associate or Full Professor, Department of Education
University of Minnesota Duluth
The UMN has suspended hiring for most positions. However,
we will continue hiring for positions critical to the University's
mission and operations at this time. Applications are being
accepted for this position and you are encouraged to
apply. In-person interviews are suspended indefinitely and will be
replaced by interviews in a virtual format. Thank you for your
continued interest in working at the University of Minnesota.
Applicants for the position of Education Department Head are required to have:
- Doctorate in Education or a related field from a regionally accredited university
- Commitment to working with diverse populations and fostering social justice, culturally responsive, and antiracist pedagogies
- A scholarly record commensurate to faculty rank (tenured Associate or Full Professor)
- Record of successful administrative experience in higher education settings
- Teaching experience at the university level
- Evidence of social justice, culturally responsive, and antiracist practices in teaching, scholarship and service
- Evidence of successful student, faculty, and staff mentorship
- Demonstrated successful experience with teaching licensure, program accreditation and review
- Demonstrated success working effectively with culturally diverse students, colleagues and communities
- Experience partnering with Indigenous communities and other ethnically and linguistically diverse populations
- Interest in P-12 community partnerships
- Teaching experience in E-12 settings
- Administrative experience in E - 12 settings k) Experience working effectively with faculty governance and collective bargaining
- Experience working with leading or developing graduate programs in education
- History of successful grant writing
- Record of successful leadership in key collegiate, campus, or professional roles
- Research and teaching expertise with specific focus in at least one of the areas represented in the department
This is a faculty position. The primary position is for an
Associate or full Professor with indefinite tenure that includes a
secondary appointment as department head. Department heads serve a
4-year term that can be renewed.
Responsibilities as department head include: Work with Administration, colleagues, and students to continuously support and advance the department in line with University, college and department mission and vision; provide leadership and mentorship to faculty and staff in scholarship and curriculum development; provide leadership in accreditation and licensure work; teach courses in the Department of Education based on program needs and in accordance with specialization; maintain a research agenda; advise and mentor pre-service teacher education students and graduate students; engage in service to the department, University and profession.
The start date of this position is August 23, 2021.
The Department of Education is one of five departments in the College of Education and Human Service Professions and is the home of the Ruth Meyers Center for Indigenous Education and has an Endowed Chair in Indigenous Education. The Department offers 16 undergraduate teaching licensure programs and produces more licensed Special Education teachers than any other program in the state of Minnesota. Licensure and Minor offerings include: Unified Early Childhood Education (currently under construction); Integrated Elementary and Special Education; Secondary licensure options; K-12 Education (art, music, physical education); TESOL/TEFL minor; Special Education minor, Early Childhood minor; Deaf Studies minor; and Master of Education degree program. The Department supplies courses for the African and African American Studies Minor program. The Department of Education home page can be found at https://cehsp.d.umn.edu/departments-centers/educ.
The College of Education and Human Service Professions promotes research and practice in the social and human sciences. Our collective teaching, scholarship, and service supports student development as engaged citizens, reflective learners, critical thinkers, and evidence-informed practitioners in a culturally-sensitive, socially-just learning environment. The college is committed to, and is a campus leader in the areas of diversity/anti-racist work, community outreach and sustainability. Both the college and the Department of Education have been nationally and regionally recognized for multiple programs that partner with and serve Indigenous communities.
The University of Minnesota Duluth was recently ranked one of the top 50 regional universities in the Midwest (U.S. News & World Reports). The city of Duluth, located approximately two and a half hours north of Minneapolis, is nationally ranked as one of the best and most affordable places to live and work. Perched on the shores of Lake Superior and surrounded by natural forests, Duluth offers some of the best outdoor recreational activities and boasts of thriving industries in technology, healthcare, aviation, and education. The city of Duluth is recognized as a “Climate refuge city.”
Applications must be submitted online. To be considered for this position, please click the Apply button and follow the instructions. You will have the opportunity to complete an online application for the position and attach a cover letter and resume. Additional documents may be attached by accessing your "My Job Applications" page and uploading documents in the "My Cover Letters and Attachments" section. Successful candidates may be asked to supply additional materials including transcripts, reprints/preprints of scholarly work, and teaching evaluations.
To apply for this position, go to http://www1.umn.edu/ohr/employment/ and search for job opening number 340720.
Complete applications must include:
1. Letter of Application addressing required and preferred qualifications. Please include details about your research agenda and commitment to anti-racist work.
2. Current Curriculum Vitae
3. Contact information for three professional references (references will be contacted only for finalists)
To ensure full consideration of your application please submit all materials online by June 6th, 2021. Letters of application will initially be anonymized prior to review. This position will remain open until filled.
Please send any inquiries to:
Dr. Scott Carlson, Search Chair
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please contact the University of Minnesota Disability Specialist at 612-624-3316. Individuals from underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.
Smoking, chewing tobacco and the use of electronic cigarettes prohibited on all UMD property, including indoor facilities, campus grounds and University vehicles.
If you have started receiving retirement annuity payments from the Minnesota State Retirement System (MSRS) or Public Employees Retirement Association (PERA) your eligibility for this position may be impacted. Please contact MSRS or PERA for any eligibility limitations.
The University recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting the academic mission. The University is committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying identities and backgrounds.
The University of Minnesota provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. To learn more about diversity at the U: http://diversity.umn.edu.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. Our presumption is that prospective employees are eligible to work here. Criminal convictions do not automatically disqualify finalists from employment.
The University of Minnesota, Duluth (UMD) consistently ranks among the top Midwestern, regional universities in U.S. News and World Report's "America's Best Colleges" issue.
Overlooking Lake Superior, UMD provides an alternative to both large research and small liberal arts environments and attracts students looking for a personalized learning experience on a medium-sized campus of a major university. A firm liberal arts foundation anchors a variety of traditional degree programs, as well as professional and graduate students that draw on UMD's many research institutes and labs.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Duluth
- Education Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Duluth
- Other Education Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Duluth
- Teacher Education Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Duluth