Term Instructor of Forestry
Job Title Term Instructor of Forestry Rank Instructor Classification Title Term Position Summary
This position will serve as a Term Instructor of Forestry in the Department of Forestry at New Mexico Highlands University ( NMHU ). The Department of Forestry houses New Mexico’s only B.S. in Forestry accredited by the Society of American Foresters ( SAF ) as well as a National Science Foundation Center of Research Excellence in Science and Technology ( NSF CREST ) focused on forest restoration in the American Southwest. The initial appointment for this position will be for the 2021-2022 academic year, but it is anticipated that the successful applicant will be offered subsequent contracts for research and/or teaching within the Department of Forestry, including summer research contracts, contingent upon funding availability and departmental needs.
This position will perform a minimum of 0.5 FTE instructional/academic duties and up to 0.5 FTE of grant-funded research duties. Courses taught by this position are expected to include Introduction to Plant Production, Plant Production 1, and Plant Production 2, and may include Dendrology, Mensuration and Biometrics, Silviculture, Forest Management, and/or others as needed by the Department and as appropriate to the Instructor’s expertise. This position will also be expected to contribute to the development and implementation of a new concentration in Forest Nursery Management for the B.S. in Forestry.
Research duties will focus on support of the Department’s NSF CREST program and collaborative McIntire-Stennis research, specifically on the support of several projects investigating artificial regeneration practices, tree seedling ecophysiology, and nursery management practices. This research is being conducted in collaboration with New Mexico State University’s ( NMSU ) John T. Harrington Forestry Research Center ( JTH FRC ), and it is expected that this position will work closely with the faculty and staff of the JTH FRC to support these collaborative research efforts. Specific research responsibilities of this position will be coordinated with the appropriate Director, Principal Investigator (PI), and/or Co-Principal Investigator (PI) of the relevant research program as determined by project needs.
The successful applicant will have: a strong background in the core disciplines of forestry, including reforestation and nursery management, dendrology, forest mensuration, silviculture, and forest management; experience teaching university-level coursework in these areas and related fields; and experience and expertise in applied forest restoration operations and research.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach assigned courses equivalent to a minimum of 0.5 FTE during the academic year
- Develop and deliver all content for assigned courses
- Maintain communications with students and faculty as needed to carry out assigned academic duties
- Assist with development and implementation of a concentration in Forest Nursery Management for the B.S. in Forestry program
- Perform up to 0.5 FTE of grant-funded research duties in accordance with project needs
- Assist with the design, implementation, analysis, and reporting of assigned research projects
- Manage scheduling, data collection, project maintenance, and record-keeping for assigned research projects
- Coordinate with appropriate Director(s), Principal Investigator(s), and/or Co-Principal Investigator(s) to ensure responsible and effective management of project budgets
- Direct and supervise assigned research personal and student employees
- Coordinate with landowners, stakeholders, and collaborators as required by assigned projects
- Other related academic and research duties as assigned by the Director of Forestry
An earned Ph.D. in Forestry, Forest Science, Forest Biology, or a closely related discipline is required. Applicants who are ABD Ph.D. students at the time of application will be considered but must have a Ph.D. in hand before their start date.
Preferred qualifications include experience with: instructing university-level coursework; advising undergraduate and graduate students; successfully applying for and managing grants; planning, installing, and managing forest regeneration/restoration field studies; statistical design and analysis; preparing and publishing peer-reviewed scientific manuscripts; and participating in complex externally-funded collaborative projects.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience developing and delivering university-level forestry courses at both the undergraduate and graduate level
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, both written and oral
- Experience mentoring undergraduate and graduate students
- Knowledge of silvicultural practices in the western U.S.
- Experience with reforestation activities including but not limited to seed collection, nursery production, tree planting, vegetation control, and animal damage prevention
- Ability to perform morphological, anatomical, and physiological research on seed and tree seedlings in field, greenhouse, and laboratory settings
- Experience in design, implementation, data collection, analysis, and reporting of research studies
Work Location Las Vegas, NM Campus
Posting Number F218P Posting Open Date 05/13/2021 Posting Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants
A complete online application must include: 1) Letter of interest/cover letter that highlights relevant knowledge, skills, and abilities; 2) CV; 3) Names, telephone numbers and email address of three (3) professional references in the online application; 4) copies of unofficial transcripts. Candidates who are invited for on-campus or Zoom interviews will be required to submit official transcripts. References will be contacted in conjunction with on-campus interview. Upload required materials with online application. For disabled access or services, call (505) 454-3242 or contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org NMHU IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Quick Link https://nmhu.peopleadmin.com/postings/6308 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Public Job Posting
- Internal Job Posting
- Agency Referral
- Personal Referral
- * What is the highest level of education attained?
- High School Diploma
- Associates Degree
- Bachelors Degree
- Masters Degree
- * Will you have a Ph.D. in hand by the date of appointment or
an advanced ABD by the date of the appointment?
- Cover Letter/ Letter of Interest
- Unofficial Transcripts Conferring Required Degree
- Curriculum Vitae
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Las Vegas
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Las Vegas
- Agriculture & Animal Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Las Vegas
- Biotechnology & Bioengineering Not specified Full Time jobs in Las Vegas
- Other Science & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Las Vegas