Events and Marketing Coordinator, Alexander Blewett III School of Law
The Alexander Blewett III School of Law invites applications for an Events and Marketing Coordinator (Events/ Promotion Coordinator II) . This position manages the coordination of events and activities at the Blewett School of Law, including Max S. Baucus Institute and the Department of Public Administration events. This position works closely with both internal and external stakeholders to organize events, coordinate logistics, and manage participants.
Under the supervision of the Director of Marketing and Communications, the Events and Marketing Coordinator assists the Director with marketing responsibilities. The two positions function as a team to arrange pre-event and post-event publicity.
Specific Job duties include:
- Schedule law school events in calendaring software in careful coordination with all program areas
- Create virtual Zoom events; manage livestream events, recordings, and participant data
- Use EventBrite to manage event registration and Continuing Legal Education (CLE) credit payment
- Provide selection, calendar coordination, contract and booking, room setup, and catering guarantees for off-campus venues when needed
- Negotiate hotel room block contracts
- Coordinate within the department for door locking and security changes and with LawIT for AV requirements and other technology needs; interdepartmental coordination with UM Catering for food and beverage, Facilities Services work orders for large event setup, UM Events for special events and ordering (partitions, podiums, etc.), Campus Police for special guests and parking arrangements, and other departments for venue reservations
- Complete and submit CLE applications, provide CLE registration, consolidate CLE registration with participant lists, report CLE attendance to the State Bar, and create and distribute continuing education certificates for other states and boards
- Manage on-site event functions such as running a registration desk, greeting attendees and speakers, directing UM Catering where to set up and monitoring the food and bar, reserving seating for special guests, and providing additional materials or assistance as needed
- Maintain, organize, and store an inventory of non-IT law school equipment, including chairs, tables, easels, decorations, gifts, and other items; make sure equipment is in good working order and ready for use; order new items when there is need
- Conduct post-assessment of event effectiveness and implementing improvement plans for future events
- Other general events responsibilities include managing the LawEvents email account and events files, tracking events spending and budget, coordinating event planning meetings, setup and teardown of building and rooms (registration/catering/vendor tables, chairs, signage, vases, flowers, lighting, printed information, etc.), coordinating student volunteers, arranging for food and beverage not supplied by UM Catering (speaker waters, coffee, snacks), release forms, speaker gifts, and researching improvements and cost-saving options for events
- Assist with the creation and management of 50+ event listings each semester in Griz Hub
- Manage online Submittable forms and submissions
- Utilize Cascade CMS to assist with content updates to departmental websites and academic landing pages
- Assist the director of marketing and communications with Facebook events, paid advertising, and curation of other social media content on nine channels
- Utilize basic design skills to create event signage, class lookbooks, and other simple materials
- Manage digital and non-digital marketing displays in the law school
- Take event photos and short video clips; complete MCAT requests; submit University Marketing photography and videography requests for lookbook photos, class photos, staff, and faculty headshots, event photography, branded photoshoots, and promotional videos
- Other general marketing responsibilities include assisting with the management of the Blewett School of Law shared email account, assist with tracking marketing spending, listing events with Missoula Events, and proofreading
This position requires incumbent to develop a working knowledge of scheduling software; develop a working knowledge of Microsoft Access; develop a working knowledge of Banner; develop a working knowledge of building use policies, and room technology; develop the ability to effectively market the Law School in social media communications; develop a working knowledge of website management platforms to maintain and update the School’s webpages; and develop a working knowledge of UM Policies and regulations regarding events and building usage.
- Demonstrated experience in event planning and execution
- Experience working with and contracting with vendors, including hotels, restaurants, caterers, florists, photographers, videographers, and musicians
- Demonstrated experience in a professional office setting
- Demonstrated proficiency in using Microsoft Office software applications, and specifically Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, One-Note, and PowerPoint
- Ability to learn and use new technologies as needed
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally
- Ability to effectively work with limited supervision and to provide high-level support on complex and unstructured tasks
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to collaborate with faculty, staff, students and campus departments and provide leadership in events management
- Effective public relations and interpersonal skills, with the ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with a diverse group of individuals
- Sound project management skills and ability to develop timelines and work on multiple concurrent projects
- Ability to maintain poise and professionalism at all times
- Ability to problem-solve, make sound decisions, and utilize conflict management skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills as demonstrated by the ability to draft professional letters, emails, and reports and present to the public, students, staff, faculty, and administrators
- Basic knowledge of and ability of apply marketing strategies
- Heartsaver First Aid/CPR/AED certification or ability to earn the certification within six months
Minimum Required Experience
- High school diploma (or equivalency) in addition to three (3) years of closely related experience planning and executing events; or any combination of experience and education that provides the competencies necessary to successfully discharge the duties and responsibilities assigned to the position.
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Experience planning and executing large-scale events
- Experience using a website content management system
- Experience managing business social media accounts
The Alexander Blewett III School of Law at the University of Montana prepares students for the people-oriented practice of law by integrating theory and practice in a competency-based curriculum; serves as the academic legal center in Montana; and contributes to the development of national, state, and tribal law and legal institutions through teaching, scholarship, and service.
The University of Montana is a unit of the Montana University System with over 10,000 students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 72,000, surrounded by mountain grandeur which was recently ranked in the “ top 20 best college towns with a population of less than 250,000 ” by the American Institute for Economic Research and ranked 9th in Outside Magazine’s “ The 16 Greatest Places to Live in America” in 2014 . Many national publications recognize Missoula for its high quality of life . Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action : Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
- University of Montana
- City of Missoula
- The State of Montana
Position Title: Events and Marketing Coordinator (Events/ Promotion Coordinator II)
Position Number: NEW
Department: Alexander Blewett III School of Law
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week), Monday through Friday, and occasionally weekends and evenings depending on events, 12 months/year.
Salary: $16.885/hr – Current employee’s rate of pay for this position will be determined by the staff compensation plan and may be different from the posted salary. For questions and details regarding the staff compensation plan, email the Compensation Department .
Union Affiliation: FOCUS - MFPE
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include : Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Application Deadline: Tuesday, June 1, 2021 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Candidates are required to submit the following materials online
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related the stated required skills for the position.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience.
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
Need additional help? Check out our UM Jobs FAQ website.
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular