Posting Number: SRGV5058
Number of Vacancies: 1
Location: Edinburg, Texas
Department: Campus Facilities Operations
Scope of Job:
Responsible for the daily operations of the locksmith department.
Description of Duties:
• Supervises Lock Shop daily operations including all personnel and special projects as assigned.
• Responsible for the safekeeping, record and distribution of all university locks and keys.
• Disassembles locks such as padlocks, safe locks, door locks, and repairs or replaces worn tumblers, springs, and other parts; inserts new or repaired tumblers into lock to change combination; moves lock pick in cylinder to open door locks without keys; opens safe locks by drilling; cuts new or duplicate keys.
• Responsible for disseminating all work orders received for proper and timely completion.
• Purchases and inventories shop supplies, machinery and equipment.
• Plans and estimates labor and material cost for projects and prepares proposal for management review. Initiates work order for project execution.
• Coordinates with other trades and department supervisors on work projects and estimates labor hours required for completion of job.
• Reviews all service requests before assignment
• Maintains and repairs automatic door openers and sliding (glass) entry doors on campus.
• Participates in plan reviews for remodels, renovations and new construction projects as necessary.
• Ensures safety regulations are followed and promotes safety within department by conducting safety meetings.
• Complies with all State and University Policies.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
General supervision from assigned supervisor.
Direct supervision of assigned staff.
High School Diploma or equivalent. Able to read, write, speak and understand English.
Locksmith vocational training or certificate.
As condition of employment this position requires the applicant to be authorized to operate a University-Owned Vehicle for Official University Business. Per University of Texas System Policy 157, applicants will be subject to a motor vehicle record check for their most recent thirty-six (36) month history. Out of State Drivers are required to submit a 36-month history MVR from their prior State of residence(s).
Five (5) years of skilled journeyman level locksmith with supervisory skills. Experience to include common locksmith duties.
Use of standard office equipment. Use of computer key cutting machines and other locksmith tools, picks, and power tools common to locksmith work. Name plate cutting machine.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Office Environment; some travel and weekend work is required.
Medium work -Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Exceptional planning and organizational skills. This position will be subject to a pre-employment physical.
Physical Capabilities: N/A
Employment Category: Full-Time
Minimum Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Posted Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date: 05/12/2021
Grant Funded Position: No
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date:
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the civil rights act of 1964, the title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures non discrimination in it’s education programs and activities, including employment.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
*Date of Birth
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley reserves the right to discontinue accepting applications prior to the stated close date of this position, after meeting the posting requirement of three (3) calendar days.
If you have any questions, please visit our Careers site at https://careers.utrgv.edu for detailed contact information.
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/28376