Vice Chancellor for Business, Finance, and Administrative Services
The University of Wisconsin-Stout (UW-Stout) invites applications and nominations for the position of Vice Chancellor of Business, Finance, and Administrative Services (VCBFAS).
The University of Wisconsin-Stout offers a rich, dynamic, and collaborative environment in which to work and grow. UW-Stout is unique within the University of Wisconsin System--it is named after its founder, James Huff Stout, and holds the distinction of being Wisconsin’s Polytechnic University, a designation which highlights its combination of applied learning, real-world experiences, and an integrated liberal arts foundation. The university’s nearly 8,000 students, supported by 444 faculty and instructional academic staff and 721 non-instructional staff, can select from 50 undergraduate programs, 19 master’s degree programs, and four advanced degree programs: Ed.S. in Career and Technical Education, Ed.S. in School Psychology, M.F.A. in Design, and Ed.D. in Career and Technical Education. In addition to a strong undergraduate focus, UW-Stout has a variety of options to serve non-traditional students. More than 1,600 students are enrolled in UW-Stout’s online or distance education offerings including courses, certificates, certifications, and professional development education.
Collaboration with partners is central to UW-Stout’s polytechnic designation and success. At UW-Stout, all programs engage an external advisory committee and 100 percent of graduates participate in experiential learning that includes a range of options, such as capstone courses, co-ops/internships, practicum, service learning, student teaching, field experiences, study abroad, and student research. UW-Stout has a long and rich history of providing a distinctive array of innovative programs that produce graduates who are sought after in the workforce. The six-month post-graduation employment rate for UW-Stout graduates is 98.8 percent, with 87 percent of graduates working in their field of study. For more information about the UW-Stout community and region visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/our-community.
Reporting directly to the Chancellor, the VCBFAS serves in an executive position providing leadership and administrative oversight for business and financial services, budget, facilities management, capital planning, human resources, safety and risk management, record stewardship, and sustainability coordination. As the Chief Business Officer, the VCBFAS works closely with other executive officers, deans, and directors, and interacts with faculty, academic staff, university staff, students, and community members to accomplish the many initiatives necessary to help lead Wisconsin’s polytechnic university. The Vice Chancellor also collaborates with University of Wisconsin System leadership and staff regarding divisional operations and needs and serves as a strong advocate for the University of Wisconsin-Stout and its constituents.
The Vice Chancellor of Business, Finance, and Administrative Services will be a proven leader who is able to establish and maintain effective guidance to the Chancellor and with other internal stakeholders on business and financial tasks. A successful candidate will demonstrate ethical values, creativity, energy and will be committed to student success and the mission of UW-Stout as Wisconsin’s Polytechnic University. The ideal candidate will:
- Effectively and efficiently administer the units organized as the division of Business, Finance, and Administrative Services;
- Understand the complexities of working in a resource-challenged environment and recommend strategies for short- and long-term data-driven decisions tied to informed budget modelling and financial planning;
- Collaborate effectively with other members of the executive leadership team with respect to planning and decision-making that crosses divisions.
- Possess the skills and mindset to propose, lead, and champion both necessary and innovative ways to plan and ultimately thrive in a post-COVID context;
- Understand how to function effectively within a university system, form partnerships, and participate confidently and in informed ways in promising initiatives;
- Lead difficult conversations with clarity, compassion, and consistency; and
- Be a trusted leader respected for their preparation, professionalism, innovative ideas, and solution-based approach.
The most successful candidate will possess:
- A bachelor’s in accounting; finance, economics, business, public, or higher education administration, or related field;
- At least 5 years of progressive leadership experience relevant to the portfolio;
- Demonstrated understanding of and belief in the mission of UW-Stout as Wisconsin’s polytechnic university;
- Ability to serve as a high-level advisor to the chancellor on issues of financial planning and forecasting;
- Experience in and commitment to the areas of strategic planning, policy and procedure development, and accountability;
- Proven ability to problem-solve and lead in a resource-challenged environment and recommend immediate and long-term solution-based strategies to the institutional leadership and the university community, and deliver results;
- Exceptional organizational and interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with a range of internal and external stakeholders;
- Proven ability to foster team building, promote professionalism and customer service, and build leadership capacity;
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to oversee multiple projects simultaneously with a focus on clarity, details, and deadlines;
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion work resulting in tangible outcomes within an organization or institution; and
- Evidence of ethical and transparent leadership style.
- A master’s or doctoral degree in accounting, finance, economics, business, public, or higher education administration; or related field;
- Work experience in higher education, government, or related field;
- Experience working in a public, post-secondary institution that is part of a larger university system;
- Experience working in a shared governance environment with student and faculty/staff;
- Experience developing public-private partnerships, as well as identifying and creating new revenue streams; and
- Demonstrated leadership and delivery capability in change and transition management.
Applicant and Nomination Process
The Search Committee will begin reviewing applications immediately and will continue to accept applications and nominations until the position is filled. Submission of materials via e-mail is strongly encouraged. Applicants must submit a current resume/curriculum vitae; a letter of interest describing relevant experience; and an equity, diversity, and inclusion statement that explains how the candidate supports such institutional efforts. Nomination letters should include the name, position, and contact information for the nominee. All nominations and applications will be handled in confidence.
E X E C U T I V E S E A R C H
Alberto Pimentel, Managing Partner
Refer to code “UW-VCBFAS” in subject line
Storbeck/Pimentel & Associates, Inc.
6512 Painter Avenue
Whittier, CA 90601