Chief of Staff
The Chief of Staff reports directly to the President and is responsible for overseeing the operational and administrative functions of the Office of the President. Manages Office of the President staff, including hiring, training, developing, and evaluating employees. Oversees management of the President’s daily schedule, empowered to make decisions and ensure President’s commitments are met. Maintains standards of excellence for trust, transparency and teamwork within the President’s office and in all interactions.
Job DescriptionEssential Functions:
- Serves as the single point of contact for the President to rely upon for day to day operations, affairs and activity related roles; troubleshooting daily needs of the President.
- Manages Office of the President staff including hiring, training, professional development, and performance evaluation, and oversees operations, affairs and activities related functions of the Office of the President to ensure management of all President’s activities.
- Oversees management of the President’s daily calendar to maximize the President’s relationships with the Board, donors, alumni, students and other key groups and individuals, internal and external; plans and assigns tasks to ensure each day/week is well managed.
- Oversees providing the President with full briefing materials in advance of all meetings and activities.
- Working with the Senior Advisor and Cabinet, keeps objectives and President’s activities aligned to allow achievement of strategic goals.
- Triages issues, conflicts and needs from internal and external parties; with an understanding of key sensitivities and positions.
- Plays a key role in the senior leadership team: coordinates Cabinet agendas; trustee meeting planning.
- Advises the President on issues, University policy, process, and practice. Builds strong relationships with the President's Cabinet, and serves as a resource for other senior administrators, trustees and others for guidance.
- Represents the President to various constituencies as needed.
- Prepares special correspondence for the President as needed.
- Oversees replies to all President’s correspondence, ensuring timely and appropriate messaging and confidentiality.
- Works with Communications on message strategies and specific communications for the President.
- Maintains an understanding of the office and university budget situation.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree and seven to ten years of experience supporting at the executive level, preferably in a complex organization such as a major university.
- Experience in appropriate professional areas with progressively more responsible duties, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to interact effectively with senior leadership.
- Demonstrated understanding and knowledge of the principles and practices of management, supervision, and the administration of applicable laws, rules, regulations, codes and statutes relating to higher education.
- Ability to handle sensitive information in a confidential manner.
- Excellent calendar management skills including the coordination of complex executive meetings.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, the internet, and other relevant software.
- High degree of self-motivation.
- Strong ability to anticipate office needs, plan ahead, and to proactively and strategically meet those needs in a timely manner.
- Ability to follow-up on all projects and tasks until successful completion.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and time management skills.
- Ability to gather and analyze data, compile information, and prepare reports.
- Ability to organize workflow and coordinate activities.
- Ability to interpret policies and procedures.
- Ability to present and display professional demeanor at all times.
- Ability to maintain effective customer relations.
- Master’s degree.
- Previous experience in a higher education or not-for-profit environment.
- Previous experience providing executive support in a fundraising environment.
Additional Job DescriptionTo Apply: Interested applicants should apply via the University’s career website. Inquiries about the application process and document submission may be addressed to email@example.com.
Time Type Requirement
Full timeNote to Applicant:
This position profile identifies the key responsibilities and expectations for performance. It cannot encompass all specific job tasks that an employee may be required to perform. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and perform job-related duties as may be reasonably assigned by his/her supervisor.
In order to provide a safe and productive learning and living community, Wake Forest University conducts background investigations and drug screens for all final staff candidates being considered for employment.
Wake Forest seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce while promoting an inclusive work environment committed to excellence in the spirit of Pro Humanitate. In adherence with applicable laws and as provided by University policies, the University prohibits discrimination in its employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, genetic information, disability and veteran status and encourages qualified candidates across all group demographics to apply.