Director of Creative Services
University of La Verne
Director of Creative Services
Job Description Summary:
The Director of Creative Services is responsible for managing the overall visual tone of marketing and communications material for the University of La Verne. The director plays a central role in developing strategic solutions that align with partners' goals and objectives and satisfy the needs of the Strategic Communications team. The director should draw upon a firm understanding of graphic design, videography, photography, and content to deliver communications that articulate a consistent identity and vision across a variety of media. This includes graphic design and production of digital and print products for the university's communications and marketing campaigns and initiatives. The director maintains the university's visual identity guidelines and serves as an ambassador of those guidelines to the university community. The director will carry a portfolio of graphic design assignments, in addition to managing the work flow and performance of the other team members.
The University of La Verne is a private not-for-profit university founded in 1891 located in La Verne, California. The core values that we live by are Ethical Reasoning, Diversity and Inclusivity, Lifelong Learning and Community and Civic Engagement.
If you're passionate about these values, join us at the University of La Verne!
- Working with the associate vice president and the Office of Strategic Communications colleagues, implement the university’s visual identity, portfolio, brand identity, sub brands, and visual identity guide. Act as the steward of the university’s visual identity and ensure that all work produced by the team is high-quality and connected to larger brand and design standards. Ensure all graphic design and print projects are completed on time, within scope, and on budget.
- Produce visual concepts, art direction, storyboards, layout, and design for digital advertising/marketing efforts that visually illustrate campus life, including university websites, email communications, video, animations, multimedia presentations, and social media.
- Produce visual concepts, art direction, storyboards, layout, and design for print publications and recruitment event support, including the university magazine, recruitment flyers, brochures, programs, viewbooks, guides, pamphlets, event collateral, signage, etc.
- Maintain a robust library of frequently-needed print and digital templates, including advertisements, recruitment flyers, print ads, event programs, event flyers, invitations, etc.
- Manage outside vendors such as freelance designers, creative agencies, photographers, artists, and printers and ensure work is consistent with brand and university strategy. Follow university purchasing policies to ensure competitive bids are obtained from vendors and coordinate the necessary steps for production.
- Oversee the creation and maintenance of a robust library of brand-approved photography. In collaboration with other department staff, maintain the university’s digital asset management platform and ensure curated photo assets are accessible to departmental and university constituents.
- Supervise creative staff and student workers; establish a systemized structure of collaborative team meetings and attend inter-department and administrative department meetings in order to work with campus constituents to help them identify and achieve their goals.
- Work with project manager to ensure an organized and transparent production process. Maintain a multiyear calendar and production schedule for recurring projects.
- Manage Creative Services budget.
- Be a culturally competent employee who attends/completes mandatory diversity and inclusivity trainings as provided by the university.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing/advertising, commercial design, or related fields.
- 5 years of experience in a progressively responsible editorial, design, or publication capacity
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, and Acrobat, as well as common software packages including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and Powerpoint
- Ability to problem solve and make decisions
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills, including the ability to plan, establish priorities, and successfully manage multiple priority projects with inflexible deadlines and strict budgets
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with individuals at all organizational levels and project a positive, professional attitude
- Knowledge of standard methodologies for high quality print and digital design and production
- Exceptional client services while helping others think strategically
- Master’s Degree
- Writing and copy editing ability
- Understanding of web design and user experience
- Ability to use creative concepts to advance storytelling
- Experience in higher education or agency environments
Location: La Verne Central Campus
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: http://laverne.edu
Located in Southern California, the University of La Verne offers a distinctive and relevant educational experience to a diverse population of students, preparing them for successful careers and a commitment to lifelong learning across the liberal arts and professional programs. The academic units of the not-for-profit university include the College of Arts and Sciences, the College of Business and Public Management, the LaFetra College of Education, and the College of Law. The university offers both undergraduate and graduate programs, including degree programs tailored for working adults. The university's central campus is located 30 miles east of Los Angeles in the historic Old Town section of La Verne, a city with a population of approximately 35,000 at the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. The university also has eight regional campuses throughout California and the College of Law campus in Ontario, California. The university is classified as a Carnegie Doctoral Institution with moderate research activity. Core values are reflected throughout all curricular and co-curricular programs, its emphasis on close professor-student interaction, personal support of its students, and its diversity.
The University of La Verne prides itself in being reflective of the diversity of Southern California. Approximately 80 percent of its nearly 8,500 students come from diverse backgrounds and the U.S. Department of Education has designated the university as a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI). With 80,000 alumni, the university fulfills a critical community function in educating students from underserved populations, many of whom are the first generation in their family to attend college.
The University of La Verne is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against employment or employees on any basis prohibited by state and federal law. University of La Verne hires and promotes individuals based on their qualifications and is consistent with applicable state and federal laws, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, disability, medical condition a or sexual orientation