The Department of Pediatrics, Section of Critical Care Medicine at
Baylor College of Medicine, is seeking a full-time Instructor
faculty for the position of pediatric acute care nurse
practitioner. This position offers a unique experience in
high-volume pediatric intensive care units for an individual who
wishes to pursue a career in pediatric intensive care. Texas
Children's Hospital is one of the largest pediatric hospitals in
the United States, comprised of 162 intensive care beds spread
across three campuses, and is the affiliated hospital of Baylor
College of Medicine. The primary clinical site for this position is
at Texas Children's Hospital, Medical Center Campus in
The section of Critical Care Medicine in the Department of
Pediatrics is a multidisciplinary team of attending critical care
physicians, advanced practice providers (nurse practitioners and
physician assistants), post-doctoral fellows, and research support
personnel committed to the care of patients suffering from a
life-threatening illness or injury.
The Medical Center PICU is located in the state-of-the-art Lester
and Sue Smith Legacy Tower. The 84-bed unit is includes a Surgical
ICU, Neurological ICU, Pulmonary ICU, Hematology/Oncology ICU,
Pulmonary ICU and Transitional ICU (TICU). The Instructor will work
alongside Faculty colleagues, critical care physician fellows,
advanced practice providers, consultants and pediatric residents in
the care of children with chronic and acute illness requiring
intensive care in the PICU and TICU. At present, the PICU has over
2500 admissions per year, with more than half requiring assisted
ventilation or other advanced support, such as oscillatory
ventilation, nitric oxide administration, extracorporeal membrane
oxygenation, extra-corporeal liver support, and continuous renal
replacement therapy. The TICU also has more than 2500 admissions
per year, and is specifically designed for children who require
long-term technology support, those with residual PICU morbidities
requiring transition to home, and the management of children who
require more intensive medical support.
Role responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Day-to-day care of children with acute and chronic illness
requiring critical care.
- Participation in all CCM Section and educational activities
including case presentations, quality reviews, didactic teaching,
and core lecture series
- Active role in education of trainees.
- Supervision of Fellows.
- Participation in on-call schedule for the pediatric intensive
- Liaison and collaboration with stakeholders in CICU, PICU,
neonatology, cardiology, and cardiac surgery.
Provides advanced nursing care to patients in a clinical setting in
an area of specialization under the direction of a physician.
- Obtain detailed history and perform physical examinations.
- Perform, order, and interpret diagnostic procedures in
accordance with relevant health concerns of the patient.
- Prescribes appropriate pharmacological and non-pharmacological
- Maintain records and write orders and progress notes in patient
charts as to status, treatments, and procedures.
- Monitors and ensures accuracy of recording on patient medical
- Provide follow-up health maintenance care to patients in
accordance with protocols established with the supervising
- Communicate with physicians, patients, and the family members
of patients concerning patient care.
- Collaborates with providers, and practice staff in identifying
appropriate patients for care management.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned.
- Education Required:
- For Nurse Practitioner: Master’s degree in in Nursing.
- For Physician Assistant: Master’s degree in Physician Assistant
Studies. NOTE: Bachelor's degree in Physician Assistant Studies
accepted based on terminal degree requirements at time of
- Experience Required: None required.
- For Nurse Practitioner: Current license as a Registered Nurse
(RN) by the State of Texas Board of Nursing. Current Texas
Licensure as an Advanced Practice Nurse (APRN-NP), and specialty
certification as required by department.
- For Physician Assistant: Current license as a Physician
Assistant by the State of Texas Physician Assistant Board.
Specialty certification as required by department.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative
Action/Equal Access Employer.