First-Year Experience Librarian
First-Year Experience Librarian
As a living, learning and working community, Susquehanna University affirms its commitment to being an engaged, culturally inclusive campus. As we seek to embody the rich diversity of the human community, we commit ourselves to the full participation of persons who represent the breadth of human difference. The university encourages candidates from historically underrepresented groups to apply. Susquehanna University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Susquehanna University is a national liberal arts college committed to excellence in educating students for productive, creative and reflective lives of achievement, leadership and service in a diverse, dynamic and interdependent world. Its more than 2,300 undergraduates come from 35 states and 22 countries, and all students study away through Susquehanna’s unique Global Opportunities program. Susquehanna University’s 325 acre campus, noted for its beauty, is located in Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania, 50 miles north of Harrisburg in the scenic Susquehanna River Valley, about a three hour drive from Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., and New York City. For more information, please visit https://www.susqu.edu.
Blough-Weis Library seeks an enthusiastic, creative and service-oriented professional for the position of First-Year Experience Librarian.
The First-Year Experience Librarian supports the library's efforts to connect with incoming students as they transition into higher education and throughout their first year at Susquehanna University. This librarian will be responsible for designing, coordinating and assessing an instruction program that prepares first-year students for a successful academic career. This includes leading information literacy instruction sessions and coordinating other outreach and programming for first-year students. This position will also serve as liaison to academic departments as assigned and as a member of the faculty with rank, but without tenure, as per the Susquehanna Faculty handbook.
- Coordinates the creation, implementation, and assessment of
first-year information literacy, academic success, and retention
- Develop, coordinate, and take part in first-year and transfer
student instruction and outreach programming
- Assess library instruction and programming for first-year
students, as well as the general assessment of library resources,
services, and activities, with other library staff.
- Participate in other necessary reference and research services
for all students and faculty, including occasional evening or
- Develop and maintain online research guides and other
- Provide liaison support to academic departments for
curriculum-related, research and collection development
- Identify effective outreach and programming that targets and
improves first-year student retention and success.
- Staff or participate in events and programming, including
occasional evening or weekend programs.
- Help lead the library's annual Open House event for all
Susquehanna University students.
- Collaborates with campus partners that support the first-year
experience and coordinates meaningful and welcoming activities that
foster student engagement and a sense of belonging. Represent the
Library in campus-wide discussions of first-year students.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
• Knowledge of information literacy concepts and best practices, including the ACRL Framework for Information Literacy for Higher Education.
• Knowledge of effective assessment strategies for library instruction and programming, as well as assessment of library resources, services, and activities with other library staff.
• Knowledge of inquiry-based teaching methods, and commitment to continually improving instructional pedagogies.
• Knowledge of current trends and techniques in library marketing and outreach.
• Skilled at supporting efforts to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion.
• Strong and effective organizational, interpersonal skills and service orientation
• Skilled at written and verbal communication, including formal presentation to groups.
• Ability to work outside the library with other campus partners on outreach, programming or other various projects.
• Ability to support research and information needs of students and faculty in a liberal arts setting.
• Ability to develop strong relationships and communicate effectively with faculty, staff, and students.
ALA-accredited Master’s degree in library science or equivalent
Minimum of one year of experience teaching information literacy in a library required. Experience using various technologies and multimedia in library and classroom settings required.
Position requires the ability to stand or sit for extended periods of time. Position requires the ability to move about the campus. Position requires the ability to talk and to hear instruction. Position requires occasional manual dexterity and the ability to use fingers, hands, and arms to feel, handle, and reach. Position requires occasional stooping, crouching and bending. Position requires the ability to occasionally lift up to 10 pounds. Working conditions are indoor.
Experience teaching information literacy in an academic library preferred.
Experience working in a library with a diverse population strongly preferred.
Special Instructions to the Applicant:
Benefits Eligible: Yes
Number of Months: 12 months
Other Number of Months:
Work Schedule/Hours per Week:
Posting Date: 05/11/2021
Open Until Filled: No
Anticipated Start Date: 08/01/2021
Posting Number: AH00731
To apply, visit https://jobs.susqu.edu/postings/2290