Part-Time Assistant I, Library
Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- One LSC
- Student Focused
- Own It
- Advance Equity
- Cultivate Community
- Choose Learning
The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance .
Campus Marketing Statement
Lone Star College-CyFair
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow’s workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of seven colleges, ten centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, is continuously named Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
Located in suburban northwest Houston in the heart of the CyFair Community, the college provides a full range of offerings including unique programs in fire science technology, logistics management and sonography. Since opening our award winning campus in 2003, the college has experienced record growth and supports an exciting learning environment that brings together state-of-the-art technology and active, collaborative learning.
Campus address is 9191 Barker Cypress Road, Cypress, TX 77433.
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
The Assistant I provides friendly, efficient, high quality customer service to students, faculty, staff, and community patrons. He or She assists students, faculty and the general public in obtaining library resources, helps students find library materials, shelves books and periodicals, manages study rooms, creates student IDs, and completes other duties as assigned. He or She circulates library materials and maintains patron records using the integrated library system and other software, interprets and enforces established library policies and procedures, and works within the guidelines and procedures of job function with little to no supervision.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Open and close library during specified hours and securing library equipment and cashbox. Charge, discharge, and renew library circulating and reserved materials. Register and re-register library patrons in SirsiDynix Symphony Workflows. Process student ids, specialty badges for Health services, and employee Access card badges using ID Credentials
- Retrieve and process system intra-library (Harris and Montgomery county public libraries and all of Lone Star college libraries) hold requests for campus items. Receive and process incoming bins for shelving and hold requests for campus patrons. Route interlibrary (via Library Technical Services) loan requests. Handle the book drops and in house use items. Notify patrons via library email concerning hold requests and processing expired holds
- Collect and record fines and fees. Remove library service indicator blocks using iStar program. Add funds to patron printing accounts using Pharos and instruct patrons on printing procedures. Troubleshoot copiers and printers. Administer and approve guest account access for Public library patrons and community patrons
- Collect monies for fines and lost materials, update system records accordingly. Document day end balance of fines collected and ensure tallies match, deliver to designated area for accounting
- Answer telephones and provide routine information or refers and transfers calls. Assist with the maintenance and order of the Circulation department by organizing forms and supplies, cover new books, and repair non-print cases, books, and other library materials
- Assist in the preparation of book displays, withdrawing of library materials, inventory, and other special projects as needed
- Provide customer service assistance to library visitors; serve as point of contact for the library in person, by phone and email; refer patrons to reference librarians when additional reference assistance is needed
- Use integrated Library system software to perform circulation services including checkout and renewal of materials, maintaining patron Library records, processing requests and holds and other general circulation services
- Use integrated library system software to issue and update student, faculty and patron ID cards, ensuring proper identification is presented and accurate information is entered/updated in the system
- Enforce circulation policies and procedures for students, faculty and the public. Participate in the development of documentation for Circulation Desk procedures
- Prior to end of shift, secure library and perform closing duties for 2nd Floor which includes ensuring all patrons have exited, locking side doors and 2nd floor main entrance sliding glass doors, locking the elevator at ground floor so no one is allowed to enter 2nd or 3rd floor, turning off all computers and ID camera, ensuring all material is stored in proper location
- Assist library patrons in the use of computers, copy machines, and the pay print system, fax machine, audiovisual equipment, scanner and various other technology
- Participate in shelf reading, collection inventory and repair of materials. Provide back-up support to the Learning Center, assist with library programs and special projects as needed, responsible for other reasonable, related duties as assigned
- Retrieve, sort and distribute mail and courier deliveries as assigned, maintain supplies & forms, straighten materials and equipment, record daily activity statistics. Maintain overall general appearance of the library, monitor security gates, public access computers, computer labs and the copy room
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Responsible and dependable
- Working knowledge of office practice and procedures
- Working knowledge of personal computers and common office software such as Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to prioritize duties using sound customer service principles
- Ability to interpret policies and procedures
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
WORK SCHEDULE AND CONDITIONS :
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards
- High school diploma or GED
Hourly Pay Rate is $10.25.
Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition waiver, participation in a tax deferred retirement plan and more.
Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on ‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached your cover letter with your resume.
If you are applying for an Instructional position (i.e. Faculty, Adjunct Faculty, Instructor), please ensure you include the following to be considered: Resume/CV, Cover Letter, Teaching Philosophy, and unofficial transcripts.
You must limit your file name for any attachment to 40 characters or less.
How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Part Time jobs in Cypress
- Professional Fields Not specified Part Time jobs in Cypress
- Library & Information Sciences Not specified Part Time jobs in Cypress
- Administrative Not specified Part Time jobs in Cypress
- Academic Affairs Not specified Part Time jobs in Cypress