Custodian - Utica Campus
Custodian - Utica Campus
Mohawk Valley Community College provides accessible, high-quality educational opportunities to meet the diverse needs of our students. We are the community’s college, committed to student success through partnerships, transfer and career pathways, and personal enrichment.
The College is looking for exceptional colleagues. We seek candidates with: (1) an understanding of the college mission and teaching experience in a comprehensive community college; (2) a focus on student success in a learner-centered environment; and (3) a willingness to use technology to support learning in the academic setting, including on-line instruction and assessment of student learning outcomes.
MVCC is seeking to fill two full-time Custodians in our Facilities and Operations Department . The Custodian position involves manual work calling for the efficient and economical performance of building cleaning and occasional minor maintenance tasks. Cleaning and maintenance tasks are performed according to a well-established routine. An incumbent may be responsible for the cleanliness and minor maintenance in a small school building or work under supervision of a higher ranking employee at a larger school. Supervision may be exercised over the work of cleaners or helpers. Incumbent performs related work as required.
Key responsibilities for this position include:
- Sweeps, mops and waxes floors, washes walls, windows and blackboards, cleans erasers, dusts, and performs other cleaning duties;
- Cleans and mops lavatories and locker rooms;
- Dusts desks, woodwork, furniture, and other equipment;
- Makes minor repairs to furniture, electrical fixtures, windows, and window shades, locks, faucets, heating system, and other equipment;
- Empties waste baskets, collects, and disposes of rubbish;
- Replaces soap, towels, light bulbs, and other supplies;
- Keeps simple clerical records related to cleaning and maintenance tasks;
- Mows lawns, trims shrubs, rakes leaves, removes snow and ice from walks and driveways, and performs a variety of other groundskeeping tasks as assigned;
- Receives, moves, and stores incoming school supplies;
- Arranges chairs and tables and other equipment for special use of school buildings;
- May operate oil or gas fired low-pressure steam, hot water or hot air heating system;
- May operate a light motor vehicle in transporting supplies, equipment, food, and mail;
- May maintain, set up and tear down athletic fields for athletic events;
- May operate a computer to receive, maintain, manage and disperse information as required;
- Performs a variety of errands and related custodial tasks.
This is a competitive position and successful candidate will be required to pass the Oneida County Civil Service examination for the Senior Custodian position. To view frequently asked questions for local civil service administration and examinations at: https://www.cs.ny.gov/jobseeker/local/faqs.cfm
Custodian Job Specification:
There are two, full-time positions on the Utica campus:
Sunday through Thursday | 5:30 AM to 2:00 PM - or -
Monday through Friday | 4:00 PM to 12:30 AM.
Mohawk Valley Community College is committed to transforming lives through learning, and as you help students secure the financial resources to pursue their dreams, you will be critical to the College mission and the student experience.
(A) Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma; OR
(B) One (1) year of experience in building cleaning or minor building maintenance activities or other work of a similar nature.
If the position requires operation of a motor vehicle, then the following special requirement applies:
Possession of a valid New York State driver’s license at time of appointment. License must remain valid throughout appointment.
Special Instructions to Applicants: Official academic transcripts required upon hire.
Review Start Date: 5/23/2021
Mohawk Valley Community College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer deeply committed to a community of excellence, equity, and diversity. MVCC maintains an inclusive learning environment in which students, faculty, administrators, staff, curriculum, social activities, governance, and all other aspects of campus life reflect a diverse, multi-cultural, and global worldview. We value the many similarities and differences among individuals and groups. We are committed to preparing students to understand, live among, appreciate, and work in a world made up of people with different ethnic and racial backgrounds, military backgrounds, religious beliefs, socio-economic status, cultural traditions, different abilities, sexual orientations and gender identities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status or on the basis of disability.