Social Sciences and Data Librarian
Lucy Scribner Library at Skidmore College welcomes applicants for our Social Sciences and Data Librarian position. This librarian fills two primary roles. First, they will help students in key social sciences disciplines develop as scholars by teaching them research skills and connecting them with relevant information resources. Second, they will help students in social sciences and related fields of study develop expertise in data science, building skills they will need to thrive academically and professionally. This librarian will have the opportunity to develop and teach data literacy and/or skill-building courses offered through the Library.
This is an 11-month, non-tenured faculty position.
Primary Job Duties:
- Serve as subject liaison to the Economics Department,
International Affairs Program, Management and Business Department,
Political Science Department, and other areas as assigned. Provide
research consultations, information literacy instruction, embedded
librarianship, and other curricular support to students and faculty
in these departments and programs. Communicate regularly with and
serve as primary point of contact for these departments and
- Cultivate and promote library collections designed to support
research and teaching in subject areas including economics,
international affairs, management and business, political science,
and other areas as assigned. Develop, assess, and revise online
resource guides, discovery tools, and other digital
- With the Metadata Librarian, GIS Center Director, and other
collaborators, develop innovative services and resources designed
to foster data literacy, including the discovery, analysis,
visualization, curation, ethical use, and sharing of data across
the disciplines but especially in the social sciences. Collaborate
with social sciences faculty to ascertain campus data needs in
support of the curriculum.
- Deliver to students and faculty specialized instruction and
reference consultations related to data collection, analysis,
visualization, and management.
- As a library faculty member, the SS/Data Librarian will be expected to keep abreast of relevant scholarship for current awareness of trends, developments, and best practices in librarianship; participate in the delivery of general reference services; participate in regular instructional services team meetings; contribute to service in the library, on campus, and in the profession; and perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Required Education : Advanced degree in library and information science OR an advanced degree in a relevant social sciences field of study.
Minimum Required Qualifications :
- Keen understanding of the evolving role of academic libraries, particularly in a liberal arts college environment
- Demonstrated understanding of research processes in a range of social sciences, including data gathering, analysis, and visualization
- Advanced Excel and at least one other common data analysis tool such as SPSS, STATA, R
- Background or experience that demonstrates an independent ability to become proficient in additional data analysis and visualization tools
- Ability to communicate complex concepts effectively and accessibly
- Demonstrated commitment to the values articulated in Lucy Scribner Library’s Mission and Skidmore College’s values of diversity, equity, and inclusion
Recognizing that not every applicant will be able to bring every piece of expertise we may need, we welcome applicants who are able to meet these additional optional criteria :
- Familiarity with international primary sources such as legal documents
- 3+ years experience in a data librarian role or social sciences librarian role
- Established track record of teaching excellence
Documents Needed to Apply :
- On-line Application
- Cover Letter
- List of Three References
Skidmore College is committed to being an inclusive campus community and, as an Equal Opportunity Employer, does not discriminate in its hiring or employment practices on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, national or ethnic origin, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, predisposition or carrier status, domestic violence victim status, familial status, dating violence, or stalking, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Employment at Skidmore College is contingent upon an acceptable background check result.
CREATIVE THOUGHT MATTERS.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Saratoga Springs
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Saratoga Springs
- Library & Information Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Saratoga Springs
- Social Work & Human Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Saratoga Springs
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Saratoga Springs