CIRES/NOAA NCEI Paleoclimatology PostDoctoral Associate
The Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) at the University of Colorado Boulder conducts collaborative research with NOAA’s National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI). CIRES is seeking a PostDoctoral Associate to conduct research on large-scale temporal and spatial patterns of abrupt climate change during the Holocene. The research will involve aggregating paleoclimate proxy records, quantifying uncertainties, and analyzing proxy time series and climate model simulations using novel mathematical techniques. The position duration is one year, with the possibility of extension for up to two additional years based on funding availability and performance.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
At CIRES, more than 800 environmental scientists work to understand the dynamic Earth system, including people’s relationship with the planet. CIRES is a partnership of NOAA and CU Boulder, and our areas of expertise include weather and climate, changes at the Earth’s poles, air quality and atmospheric chemistry, water resources, and solid Earth sciences. Our vision is to be instrumental in ensuring a sustainable future environment by advancing scientific and societal understanding of the Earth system.
National Centers for Environmental Information:
NCEI is responsible for preserving, monitoring, assessing, and providing public access to the Nation's treasure of geophysical data and information.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Aggregate, interpret and analyze paleoclimate proxy records and their uncertainties.
- Analyze output from transient climate model simulations.
- Communicate results via peer-reviewed publications and presentations at scientific meetings.
- Produce online materials describing past climate change for a general audience.
- Mentor undergraduate student(s) formatting data sets.
What You Should Know
- This position will be rostered in CIRES at CU Boulder but will be physically situated in the David Skaggs Research Center, 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305.
- If you are the selected finalist you will be required to pass a federal laboratory background clearance for site access.
- The position duration is for one year, with the possibility of extension for up to two additional years based on funding availability and performance.
- The targeted start date for this position is September 1st, 2021.
What We Can Offer
- We can offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. The annual hiring salary range for this position is $58,000 - $65,000.
- Relocation funds are available following CIRES's and the University of Colorado’s relocation processes and procedures.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Collaborative. Be Engaged. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Ph.D. in a related field is required, such as geosciences, atmospheric science, oceanography, geography, or environmental sciences.
- Experience in one or more of the following fields: climate modeling, development and interpretation of paleoclimate proxy records, or time series analysis using mathematical methods.
What You Will Need
- Experience in integrating and analyzing large, and/or heterogeneous datasets.
- Ability to communicate results to the scientific community, as proven by presentations and by first-authored peer-reviewed publication(s).
- Experience programming in R, Python, or MATLAB.
- Interest in communicating research results to non-scientific audiences.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Knowledge of climate dynamics and processes, particularly those relevant to abrupt climate change.
- General understanding of probability theory and statistical methods.
- Experience supervising or working with students.
- Please note that applicants do not need to have all the skills and experience from the "what we would like you to have" section to be considered for this position. If you meet the minimum requirements, you are encouraged to apply. We encourage on-the-job training for any additional skills or knowledge that become relevant to the position.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Resume or CV
- Cover letter addressed to the Search Committee briefly describing your qualifications, professional goals, and specific interest in this position.
- List of contact information for 3 references.
- You don’t need to include letters of recommendation with your initial application. The search committee will request letters of recommendation at a later time if you are identified as a finalist for this role. If you are selected as the finalist, we will contact you through email and request that you offer 1 name and email of a reference who will be asked to submit a letter of recommendation (can be one of the 3 noted above). This information will be kept confidential and viewable only by the search committee
If you are selected as the finalist, your degree will be verified by the CU Boulder Campus Human Resources department using an approved online vendor. If your degree was obtained outside of the United States, please submit a translated version (if applicable) as an optional attachment.
The position will be open until filled. Applications will be screened as they are received.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs .
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Carrie Morrill
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Agriculture & Animal Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Biology & Life Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Geology & Earth Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder